ATX Community

How to keep IRS auditors away 99 percent of the time

Pacun

Keep IRS auditors away: Earn less than $200,000

WASHINGTON – Want to keep IRS auditors away? Keep your earnings under $200,000 and they won't bother you 99 percent of the time.

IRS enforcement numbers, released Tuesday, show that returns under that amount have a 1 percent chance of getting audited.

Returns showing income of $200,000 and above have a nearly 3 percent audit chance. The percentage jumps to more than 6 percent for returns showing earnings of $1 million or more.

The percentages apply to both individual and joint returns.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091222/ap_on_bi_ge/us_irs_enforcement

>>a 1 percent chance of getting audited<<

I always enjoy silly articles like this. According to the author, the stat includes IRS correspondence to the tune of three out of four of these audits. Do any of you know a tax preparer who doesn't get more than one IRS letter for every hundred clients?

There used to be a saying in this business--if you aren't getting audited you aren't being assertive enough.

Yes, I noticed the article too. I've got the income limit nailed cold. So does this mean that if I get an audit notice I can just send it back to them along with a copy of the article and tell them there's a 99 per cent chance this doesn't apply to me?

Or does it illustrate the statistical anomaly that says if I have one hand in the oven and the other hand in the freezer, then "on average" I should be feeling comfortable at any given time?

>>does it illustrate the statistical anomaly that says if I have one hand in the oven and the other hand in the freezer, then "on average" I should be feeling comfortable<<

That's only a part of it. You would get the same result if one day you sat in front of the open oven and the next day in front of the open fridge. Or if a friend stuck his hands in the oven while you stuck yours in the fridge. Or if turning on both at the same time trips the circuit so nothing works at all. Just identifying a result doesn't tell you much about the cause.