ATX Community

deleting files

rick in cal

I do my returns on two different computers and transfer the completed returns to the computer that wasn't used. My problem is I efiled a number of extensions on one computer and completed the returns on the other computer. My problem is when I try to delete the incomplete returns the program won't allow me saying those returns have efile status.Is there a way to override the program and delete the returns.

You could delete the specific files by opening them and then make a minor change and save it. Close the ATX program and go to your local hard drive C:\program files\ATX200X\database and look for the folder that was just modified and delete. You should also go to your backup folder and look for the client you want to delete (backup folder uses friendlier names). AGAIN. Back up both database and backup folders before playing with them.

And yet another way. Go to your primary computer or the computer that has the copy you want to keep. Open the client, make a minor change, save it and close the program. Go to your database and copy the folder that was just modified to a jump drive, you should also copy the client from the backup folder. Then go to your second computer and paste the files from the jump drive to the correct folders. It will ask you if you want to replace it and click yes. AGAIN back up the second computer before playing with it. I think ATX has a better way but I am using computing logic and so far it works for me.

I have changed computers every year for the last 3 years for one or another reason and I jus copy the database and backup directories with no problem. Sometimes, when I open the ATX program asks me to enter a user name (I don't use password) but that's the extent of the problem.

>>completed the returns on the other computer<<

Standard backup and sync applications are common for laptops and work with desktops too. They offer various ways to update both computers. You software may not automatically recognize the new files, so you will probably need to let it rebuild the database, usually a very easy process.

I update through the program for whichever computer I am working on at the time. However, I do ALL my e-filing from only the desktop. This means working on and transporting a client file back and forth on a jump drive. Works great when I am out of town. Have never attempted to e-file even an extension from the laptop. Am curious as to why you would want to delete the files in the first place. They take up such a small portion of the harddrive.

>>Am curious as to why you would want to delete the files in the first place. They take up such a small portion of the harddrive<<

I agree. Rather than delete the file, rename it something like "zdelte - name of client". The "z" at the beginning of the name will put all the deleted files at the end of the program manager and not clutter up the program manager. I name my sample files "zsample - name". That keeps all the sample files at the end of the list. I name all my files something like TR - Name of client, Sales Tax - Name of client, Payroll - Name of client, Misc - Name of client, etc. I also name extensions Ext - Name of client. This keeps everything in groups and makes it easier to find what I am looking for. When I prepare a return that I have filed an extension for, I simply rename it TR - Name of client. Works for me.

Thank you all for the replies. I was trying to eliminate something I found mildly annoying. I already do what Genein Alabama mentioned. I have about ten files with a z in front of them and I wanted to delete them.

MCB, I had my daughter efile about 30 extensions on one pc and then moved them to my computer to do the returns over the next few months. When I tried to take the completed returns back to the first pc the program wouldn't let me do a batch import. No big deal I was just trying to save some time.