ATX Community

More info on Form 6847

Marie

Efiling 1099's and W-2's for clients need a 6847 signed by owner? It's a consent to release info to the state. I don't send the state a 1099 anyway, only Federal. Anyway, do I need that form signed for every 1099 and w-2? if doing w-2 and 1099's for the same person, will one form signed cover both? Does one have to be signed every year, or does one cover all years after the signature date? Does the 6847 need to be sent somewhere or do I keep in my records. The form doesn't pop up when the returned is checked. Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

I finally looked at this form and am, frankly, baffled. I was not familiar with this. How did you learn of it? I still don't understand the sequence of where or how this fits in with ERO's such as me. I am thinking that it applies to the companies processing what we send. The form is sent to Enterprise Computing Center and the details in the Rev. Proc. seem to refer to large companies. I welcome enlightenment about this, too, as I have been efiling for 5 years now, I think, and have never heard of this before! Thanks for raising the issue...I think.

Is there a form that the taxpayer needs to sign to give authorization for me, the preparer, to efile w-2's and 1099's? (Something similar to the 8879) In some discussion the 6847 was brought up and I thought maybe I had missed something I needed to be doing.