ATX Community

how do I e-mail return to client

bstaxes

In the past (none this year so far), I have emailed tax returns using pdf files.

When you are ready to print the return, in the Print Manager window select PDF. A new file will be created. I believe the first time I did it (it's been a few years) the program asked where I wanted to put that file; always goes there since.

Set up your email message to the client and use the "attach" option for your email provider.

If you can, you may want to try sending yourself the email to check how it comes through.

Elfling

Thank you. That was easy. I was looking at the printers and did not find anything. Just did not look in the right spot. For the 10+ years I've used ATX, I am still learning some of the features. Thanks for knowledge of this board. It is really a great help.

I have an Adobe PDF converter listed with my printers. I am not sure where I got it but it may be the PDF factory that ATX used to supply. When I create a PDF with the converter the file is drastically smaller than when I create the PDF with the PDF option in ATX.

Yes, the pdffactory program that originally came with ATX does produce a smaller file. Also, I second the security caveat. I encrypt and use a password on the files I send. For ease, the password is the last 4 digits of the SSN so it's easy to remember for both ends. I prepare with pdffactory then open in Adobe Pro and password protect.

Maybe I am being a little paranoid, but due to the security and privacy issues, I send my emailed copies of returns encrypted.

Why so paranoid? It's just a tax return. Only useful information there is the taxpayers name, address, social security number, how much money they made, where they worked, and their bank routing and deposit numbers. Surely nobody would ever be interested in that...

I agree that there is tons of sensitive information worth stealing on a tax return transmission. Encrypting helps protect from the regular guy getting at things. But realistically, anyone who has the know-how to hack into someone's email most likely has the know-how to break the encryption, too. A tax season does not go by without a tp or two asking how safe e-file is. We have 3 clients who insist on mailing their returns and we print the docs for them to do so. Personally, I don't consider the US mail any safer but they seem to think so.

It's just a weird world. Early man may have clonked your neighbor with a rock to steal his handful of berries. Thousands of years later the rock comes through an electronic back door and can wipe out anyone's financial identity. Overall, humanity hasn't learned much about "playing nice". ph34r.gif

Encrypting helps protect from the regular guy getting at things. But realistically, anyone who has the know-how to hack into someone's email most likely has the know-how to break the encryption, too.

I'd probably disagree with that. Perhaps for a password protected zip file where the password is easily guessed, but if you had something like GPG encrypted email it would be unrealistic to try to break it. Probably months of computer time processing... maybe more?

No idea how a password protected PDF compares. I do think even something as simple as a password protected zip file or PDF would prevent information theft, simply because you can get the info from someone who doesn't do that. Just like a locked car, it's still a piece of cake to smash a window but why bother when the next car has unlocked doors and keys in the ignition.