ATX Community

Info return for foreign vendor?

Margaret CPA in OH

My new client, olive oil bottlers/distributors import their olive oil from a cooperative in Greece. One partner has an interest in the family olive groves there the oil from which goes to the coop. The company here will buy olive oil (for 2009 it was contributed to the company by one partner) for product in 2010. What are reporting requirements akin to 1099's and obtaining W-9's from unincorporated vendors?

I read some about Form 1042s and other forms but frankly got my shorts twisted by the language. Is there any reporting requirement by a foreign company or individual from whom my client purchases inventory? If so, what legal recourse does the IRS have should that company not report? Does issuing something akin to a 1099 to the foreign vendor somehow protect or preserve the client purchases as legitimate business expenses?

Any guidance welcome!

I am not sure if I understand the question. If you buy items for resale, you don't issue 1099misc to providers. In any event, these suppliers don't have FEIN and they might not be interested in getting one. As I said before, maybe I do not understand the issue at hand.

Pacun, the forest for the trees! I didn't consider that this was for resale. I get caught up sometimes with my construction clients and the 1099's they issue to subs and other clients that must issue same for services from unincorporated vendors, I didn't think about resale. I know that applies to sales tax but didn't think about it applying to raw materials. Thanks again!