ATX Community

Preparer's signature

Dan

Question: When you use ATX, do you have the program put your signature on the paid preparer's line or do you leave it blank when you file the return electronically? This is the line in the paid preparer's use only (preparer's signature). I am using Form 8879 to file electronically.

Question: When you use ATX, do you have the program put your signature on the paid preparer's line or do you leave it blank when you file the return electronically? This is the line in the paid preparer's use only (preparer's signature). I am using Form 8879 to file electronically.

I have it print my name on 8879 and page 2 of federal return.

I do not give my clients a signed copy for their records, sometimes a client copy may include items not sent to the government, ie depreciation schedule etc. If they need a signed copy for something, i would rather send one to them at that time. That way besides knowing the receipent got just what the governemnt received i also know what the client is up to during the year, ie buying property, getting divorced, etc.

Providing Information to the Taxpayer

The ERO must provide a complete copy of the return to the taxpayer. EROs may provide this copy in any media, including electronic, that is acceptable to both the taxpayer and the ERO. The copy need not contain the social security number of the paid preparer. A complete copy of a taxpayer's return includes Form 8453 and other documents that the ERO cannot electronically transmit, when applicable, as well as the electronic portion of the return. The electronic portion of the return can be contained on a replica of an official form or on an unofficial form. However, on an unofficial form, the ERO must reference data entries to the line numbers or descriptions on an official form. If the taxpayer provided a completed paper return for electronic filing and the information on the electronic portion of the return is identical to the information provided by the taxpayer, the ERO does not have to provide a printout of the electronic portion of the return to the taxpayer. The ERO should advise the taxpayer to retain a complete copy of the return and any supporting material. The ERO should also advise taxpayers that, if needed, they must file an amended return as a paper return and mail it to the submission processing center that would handle the taxpayer's paper return. Refer to the current year’s tax package for addresses.