ATX Community

IN student at college

Catherine

Son of long-time clients (he is their dependent) did some work-study at college in Indiana. He's not a resident, but he lives there during the school year. They withheld $16 state and $3 local on earnings of less than $1,000 total.

I've never done Indiana returns -- what do I need to know? From what ATX is trying to tell me, there's one main form with five schedules to attach. And I don't see any low-income limit or deductions or anything that he qualifies for. And is IN one of the states that taxes income no matter where earned (like MA is), or do I exclude his summer job in MA income?

And are there any local forms to look for?

Any guidance appreciated!!

Catherine

Son of long-time clients (he is their dependent) did some work-study at college in Indiana. He's not a resident, but he lives there during the school year. They withheld $16 state and $3 local on earnings of less than $1,000 total.

I've never done Indiana returns -- what do I need to know? From what ATX is trying to tell me, there's one main form with five schedules to attach. And I don't see any low-income limit or deductions or anything that he qualifies for. And is IN one of the states that taxes income no matter where earned (like MA is), or do I exclude his summer job in MA income?

And are there any local forms to look for?

Any guidance appreciated!!

Catherine

Bumping up the queue - still hoping for help here.

I am not from Indiana but I prepared a sample form. It seems that you cannot efile non resident filing. He is required to file IN and since he didn't pay any state taxes where he lives (since he made little money), he doesn't get any credits (that's the only credit I saw that he could qualified). Also, his tax will be no more than $34 and he already paid $19, so it might not be worth it a time consuming research for such a small amount.