ATX Community

Economic Recovery Payment NOT received

elfling

We have a client who is a full-time RN for 10 years working in local hospital. Never collected SS, RRB, vet comp or pension EVER! But for some reason IRS thinks she has. Efile rejected for SchM not matching IRS files. Thought perhaps SSN was typed wrong; it was right. Efiled second time, rejected again for same reason.

She is a single mother, 2 sons, neither of whom receives govt payments either. (Not that that should matter, but I checked anyway.)

At this point I cannot figure a direct fix. I'm thinking 2 options: 1) Send a paper return and probably wait an extended time for processing. 2) Decrease SchM by the $250 IRS seems to think she rec'd and follow up with 1040X in the future. (???) {Debating whether or not that would fly.}

Looking for input.

Anyone?

In my opinion, if she is anxiously awaiting a substantial refund, I would efile without the $250 and follow up with a 1040X. I think signing it would not be a lie as you are signing according to IRS records. The amended return would give you both an opportunity to find out for sure what happened by reviewing more carefully all her deposits (government entity annuity?) and having her check with IRS to get their substantiation of payment, when and how.