ATX Community

FTBC 2008

ILLMAS

Ok I have a client coming this afternoon and they were eligible for the $7,500 credit that has to be repaid over time, I am looking at form 5405, on the second page I see the repayment section, however it seems like form is for people that sold or disposed. On Part IV, is that where I put down the amount ($500) they are paying back for next 15 years?

Thanks

MAS

Ok I have a client coming this afternoon and they were eligible for the $7,500 credit that has to be repaid over time, I am looking at form 5405, on the second page I see the repayment section, however it seems like form is for people that sold or disposed. On Part IV, is that where I put down the amount ($500) they are paying back for next 15 years?

Thanks

MAS

They don't have to start paying it back until 2010.

Diane

No, you don't use that form. Bunny hop from Line 60, put the 500 on Line 28 of the worksheet.

Thanks KC - tried that, but this now throws an e-file error saying that we cannot e-file a return that includes Form 5405. Even though the 5405 is not in the return!

I guess the other question is, is Diane correct that the repayment doesn't start until tax year 2010 ?

Yes Diane is correct, I went back to check the IRS instructions:

"However, the credit operates much like an interest-free loan, because it must be repaid over a 15-year period. So, for example, an eligible taxpayer who buys a home today and properly claims the maximum available credit of $7,500 on his or her 2008 federal income tax return must begin repaying the credit by including one-fifteenth of this amount, or $500, as an additional tax on his or her 2010 return."

MAS

Yes Diane is correct, I went back to check the IRS instructions:

"However, the credit operates much like an interest-free loan, because it must be repaid over a 15-year period. So, for example, an eligible taxpayer who buys a home today and properly claims the maximum available credit of $7,500 on his or her 2008 federal income tax return must begin repaying the credit by including one-fifteenth of this amount, or $500, as an additional tax on his or her 2010 return."

MAS

I went and did the same research and was just going to post the same response!!!!! I found my answer in the CCH 1040 publication.