ATX Community

Dependent Return - Will it reject for SS used on another return?

BulldogTom

I can't find the answer to this anywhere on IRS.gov or in the 1345 handbook. If a dependent is claimed on parents return, but wants to file to get withholding back, can you e-file the dependents return? Will it reject for SS# used on another return?

I don't think it will be a problem, but I can't find an answer. anyone know for sure?

Tom

Lodi, CA

I can't find the answer to this anywhere on IRS.gov or in the 1345 handbook. If a dependent is claimed on parents return, but wants to file to get withholding back, can you e-file the dependents return? Will it reject for SS# used on another return?

I don't think it will be a problem, but I can't find an answer. anyone know for sure?

Tom

Lodi, CA

No problem. Just prepare a return for the dependent and do not list him as claiming himself. No exemptions and he remains a dependent on his parents return. Depending upon the amount of earnings, he may owe more tax than if he claimed himself, but it will ususally save the parents more on their taxes.

Steve M