ATX Community

Rental property

Pacun

Tax payer bought rental house in 1999 and in 2006 had these expenses:

Painting $2,000.00

Replace Dishwasher $500.00

Replace Faucets, showers, $800.00

Replace Kitchen floor $565.68

The rental house adjusted basis is $170,000 after depreciation for 2005. The house was painted in 1997 and repainted in 2006. I understand that I need to depreciate the floor, painting and the dishwasher. Do I add the painting and kitchen floor to the basis and continue regular depreciation? Or I have to start a new depreciation for those items using 27.5 years? Should I expense or 179 the dishwasher?

Thanks in advance.

I always deduct painting as maintenance & repair expense. It does not extend the life, etc. The dishwasher and floor are 5-year MACRS items, and the faucets and showers I am guessing should be 5 year items, but if any piping was replaced this should probably be 27.5 year property. Anyone have better suggestion for the faucet and showers? -Bob

I always deduct painting as maintenance & repair expense. It does not extend the life, etc. The dishwasher and floor are 5-year MACRS items, and the faucets and showers I am guessing should be 5 year items, but if any piping was replaced this should probably be 27.5 year property. Anyone have better suggestion for the faucet and showers? -Bob

Not technically correct, but I would make the argument that all of it is maintenance, and that the amounts are de minimus anyway, and expense the whole thing(perhaps I would depreciate the dishwasher).

Tom

Lodi, CA

Can't Sec 179 any rental expenses to start. I've always depreciated a major paint job, not touch ups. And appliances are distinctly mentioned in IRS pub 527...there is no 'de minimus'. Kichen floor depends; did you replace the floorboards, or linoleum? Carpets are 5 year, so I would expect lino, etc to be the same.

>>On a rental, I'd depreciate at 5 years.<<

I don't think there is any authority to depreciate paint over five years. If it isn't a repair, then it's 27.5 years as part of the building.

All the work in the original post is repair (except the new dishwasher). Those jobs don't extend the life of the building or make it suitable for a new use. They simply restore it to the condition it was in before the damage occurred. It doesn't make any difference whether the damage was something specific like vandalism or just normal wear & tear. You could argue that paint prevents deterioration, but that is not the same thing as extending the life.

In some cases new faucets or floors could constitute an upgrade, which would go to depreciation. I'm assuming that is not the case here because such a low cost indicates poor or average quality.

Pub 527, pg 3: "Repairs: A repair keeps your property in good operating condition. It does not materially add to the value of your property or substantially prolong its life. Repainting your property inside or out, fixing gutters or floors, fixing leaks, plastering, and replacing broken windows are examples of repairs."

[The same page shows a table with examples of improvements.]