ATX Community

CA Preparers - FTB balance due notice

BulldogTom

Client brings me a letter from FTB with 1500 due. Nothing special about his return. Lives with his girlfriend and his child. GF does not work. Files HOH. Sch. A. No big deal. No audit flags.

Apparently, the FTB sent him an HOH questionaire. Of course, he says he never recieved it. FTB changed filing status from HOH to Single. He says never got a proposed notice of the change. The letter he gave me is indicates assessment is final and due.

I know the client and his record keeping is not good. How would you approach the FTB. (I know, he should have just filled out the dang form, but that is not what happened).

I just got the POA and will start by calling the FTB and seeing if I can get somewhere with a representative.

Tom

Lodi, cA

I went through roughly the same thing a couple of years ago. The person I talked was great and got the issue reopened and they sent out a new questionaire and the problem was solved. Interesting point, I didn't even have a POA and was just feeling out the waters before I jumped in.

>>How would you approach the FTB.<<

Franchise Tax Board audits 100% of paper-filed HoH returns over a three year cycle, but it is very minor and as JRS said it is easy to fix. Just fill out the questionnaire before you call so you can fax it in. This is another reason to electronically file, because you can include Form 4803e at the same time and avoid the audit letter completely.

I agree with all that is stated, but will add one more little (embarrassing note). I helped my client fill out the questionaire, however I used the correct year when they asked for dates and as a result his claim was rejected. He brought me the final determination letter and bill, and I swear I must have studied it and my paperwork for hours before I saw what I had done! When I saw the dates I laughed and cried, but called FTB and they were extremely kind and asked me to send a letter of explanation with a corrected questionaire and everything turned out fine!

Don't sweat this one, just call and they will walk you through the process.

Deb!