ATX Community

NT Food

ILLMAS

I am laughing as I write this post, but yesterday I went to do some small grocery shopping, I went to the deli and order some nachos, and the lady asked me if I wanted the nachos with cheese??? Of course I told her, she started ringing my order up and I notice she was adding all these amounts and then my total was close to $3. I asked her, why are these nachos so expensive, then she told me I have to charge for the cheese and hot peppers, then I told, yes but I didn't want extra cheese, so why are you charging me for the extra cheese, she is like no, I didn't give you extra cheese, I have to charge you for the cheese period. I said wait a minute, you are telling me you charge for the cheese on nachos, aren't nachos supposed to come with cheese?? Then she said don't complain to me, go complain to the front desk, she said she was tired of people complaining about the cheese. Afterwards I asked her are you going to charge me for a container and napkins because I want them to go!!

Sounds wierd enough but maybe she was required to breakdown each item included in the total cost. McDonalds does it this way on all of their value meals. One would think that if you purchased a meal that included a combination of items for one price then one price would suffice. Probably an accountant came up with this. Itemize that deli sandwich and God forgid, don't miss a pickle. :lol:

Well, I'd talk to the manager, myself. First, I'd ask him the definition of Nachos. Here's the standard one:

na·cho   [nah-choh]

–noun,plural-chos. Mexican Cookery.

a snack or appetizer consisting of small pieces of tortilla topped with cheese, hot peppers, etc., and broiled.

After he gives you some version of that, ask him why his deli is advertising Nachos for $X.xx, but then adding the cost of the cheese to the price of the dish that is supposed to already include cheese? I bet he'd straighten out the deli clerks, and probably give you a free order of nachos, just to make up for the attempted overcharging. I doubt the clerk is doing it intentionally, I suspect she just does not understand.

Reminds me of an experience I had several years ago in reverse. A friend at our table asked for extra cheese on his nachos AND offered to pay for it. The waitress took them back to the kitchen, but returned a few minutes later & told him the kitchen said they can't do it, even though she told them he's willing to pay more. She seemed embarrassed by the whole thing.

As we were leaving, the cashier asked the obligatory question about whether everything was OK, and he told her about the cheese conversation. As the cashier was apologizing, the manager who happened to be standing nearby leaned over her shoulder and interrupted saying, "I'm the one who said we won't put extra cheese on the nachos. It doesn't matter if you wanted to pay extra. We're just too busy and pretty soon everyone will be asking for more cheese!" To which my friend replied, "No problem. You won't ever hear me ask anything again." And he turned & walked out. I don't think any of our group ever went back there again.

Don't be too sure about bananas!

When I was in high school I had a craving for a banana split one Sunday night after church, so I drove to Dairy Queen and ordered one. That was in the days when they kept bananas in a wire basket suspended from the ceiling. Sure enough, they had one banana. The lady said that she couldn't sell me a banana split because they would be out of bananas. "Oh, yes ma'am", I said, "just let me have a sundae".

I drove off and thought, "Hey, wait a minute! That didn't make any sense!"

That's one of my favorite stories about the human condition.