ATX Community

Due Dates

TAXMAN

Not a tax question. If brokers can get extensions and with all the new stuff about to come through How many feel that the federal deadline should be May 1? I remember in order to do an extension you have to calculate the tax due. If I get that far I may as well try to complete the return. Returns now are getting nastier each day. Do you think congress or the IRS would be willing to listen? Just thinking. :dunno:

Client blames us for not preparing his return on time. Doesn't blame broker who just sent the second corrected statement. But, we're supposed to do what we used to do in 3.5 months in less than 2 with tax laws getting more complex and new Schedules added this year.

With my brokerage, they would just take more time to preparer the 1099's. In my own account, sometime this week, I will receive my fourth corrected 1099. The first three had numerous errors that I had to bring to their attention. Finally, according to the one posted on the website, it is nearly correct, but I will still get a CP2000 sometime in the fall, due to the handling of a 1099-misc for oil and gas royalty trusts.