ATX Community

Sch D importing data

rich

I had client with 199 Sch d transactions and he provided me Excel sheet but sale and purchase items are in not sch D format.As per previous postings on this forum I saved them as .cvs files and imported it into ATX,but it shows as all purchase items and then all sale items in ATX Import sheet.Is there any way I can reconcile and group sale and purchase together? or just efile as it is because ATX dont show any e-file error. BTW its TD Ameritrade spreadsheet.

Thanks in advance.

I do not think the program will fix issues with your spread sheet. If your spread sheet does not have the sale and corresponding cost on the same line, then I do not think it will show that way in the program. I did one this morning that the client had prepared according to my specs. He had 248 transactions, they all matched up purchase and sale and date bought and date sold on the respective line in the csv file. I imported that into ATX and it could not have been much sweeter. It did take me about 15 minutes because the dates did not import for some reason. So I copy and pasted the dates. Created another column with an F for filer and yet another column of ones for transaction type. I copied and pasted those into ATX, changed 5 transaction types to fours and four transaction types to sevens and I was done. Absolutely amazing. The client had actually emailed me the csv file last evening, ahead of our scheduled appointment at 9:00 this morning. When we walked into the conference room I threw the Schedules D and D-1's on the table and said I was up all night inputting that info and he owes me $2,000. He is a brand new client and does not understand my humor, I guess, because his chin hit the table.

Rich, before you import it, rearrange the excel format to put things in the order you want them to be in. THEN you can save it as a .csv file, and import that. That should fix your problem. That is the great thing about using the excel program to arrange the data any way you want it, first.

Rich, before you import it, rearrange the excel format to put things in the order you want them to be in. THEN you can save it as a .csv file, and import that. That should fix your problem. That is the great thing about using the excel program to arrange the data any way you want it, first.

The one problem with the import is that there is no "mapping" for the transaction type and filer/spouse/joint columns. When it's tons and tons of entries, AFTER you do the import, SAVE. then un-protect Sch. D, paste in the "F's" and "S's" and "1's" etc, re-protect and re-save, and it's complete. Save just before unprotecting so if anything goes wrong you can quit without saving. For belt-and-suspenders approach, duplicate the return, then open and save again, then muck with unprotecting.

Catherine

The one problem with the import is that there is no "mapping" for the transaction type and filer/spouse/joint columns. When it's tons and tons of entries, AFTER you do the import, SAVE. then un-protect Sch. D, paste in the "F's" and "S's" and "1's" etc, re-protect and re-save, and it's complete. Save just before unprotecting so if anything goes wrong you can quit without saving. For belt-and-suspenders approach, duplicate the return, then open and save again, then muck with unprotecting.

Catherine

If importing to Sch D in ATX does't work, rearrange the spreadsheet into the Sch D format the best you can and mail as an 8453 attachment.

I do not think the program will fix issues with your spread sheet. If your spread sheet does not have the sale and corresponding cost on the same line, then I do not think it will show that way in the program. I did one this morning that the client had prepared according to my specs. He had 248 transactions, they all matched up purchase and sale and date bought and date sold on the respective line in the csv file. I imported that into ATX and it could not have been much sweeter. It did take me about 15 minutes because the dates did not import for some reason. So I copy and pasted the dates. Created another column with an F for filer and yet another column of ones for transaction type. I copied and pasted those into ATX, changed 5 transaction types to fours and four transaction types to sevens and I was done. Absolutely amazing. The client had actually emailed me the csv file last evening, ahead of our scheduled appointment at 9:00 this morning. When we walked into the conference room I threw the Schedules D and D-1's on the table and said I was up all night inputting that info and he owes me $2,000. He is a brand new client and does not understand my humor, I guess, because his chin hit the table.

Can you explain the prcedure to get the infrmation in the correct format when you have saved the excel file as csv? I would like to use this method but I am not aware of how to do it.