ATX Community

2010 1099R

bstaxes

Client brought me his stuff and in it I found a 1099R for 2010. It is for a court case ABC v XYZ. He said he did not get the money until 2010. Do I use it for 2010 or 2009 assuming the date is wrong, although it is a preprinted 1099R? I would go with 2010 but would like other opinions.

Thanks.

Client brought me his stuff and in it I found a 1099R for 2010. It is for a court case ABC v XYZ. He said he did not get the money until 2010. Do I use it for 2010 or 2009 assuming the date is wrong, although it is a preprinted 1099R? I would go with 2010 but would like other opinions.

Thanks.

Make no assumptions. Save it for the 2010 return.

This is not uncommon. I have a client who was the beneficiary of his friend's military pension. The friend died November 13 and my client received a check for the month of November (1-13) in February 2010 and a 2010 1099-R which we will report on the 2010 return.

taxbilly

Some retirement accounts issue the 1099R at the same time as the distribution. If a person takes several distributions during the year, there may be several 1099Rs issued instead of one for the total at the end of the year.

A few years ago, a client brought in one 1099R but also included their year end statment showing total withdrawals for the year. I noticed the total withdrawals were quite a bit higher then the 1099R amount. After inquiring, the client had several 1099Rs issued.