ATX Community

MA returns-total number of pages?

Margaret CPA in OH

I have a MA return for a client. When I run the check, I get a red message that I have to enter the total number of pages to correctly print the state required 2D barcodes. I am hoping to efile but need to send the paper client copies for these elderly folks to look over first. When I create the efile, the message does not appear. Any worries?

I only prepare a few MA returns but I know MA asks for the number of pages.

I create the efile return, open the MA EF form, click the option at the bottom "Efiled Forms", print the page, count the pages for each form efiled, go back to the MA data sheet and enter the total number you counted as your page count, recereate the efile and send it.

May not be the most efficient, but it works for me.

Oh yeah, glad I do not live in MA and have to do this for every return. They also have a few other quirks about their returns, especially with SS and Mdcre for NR.

That is just for paper filing and the bar codes. When you enter the number of pages, it is included in the bar code. The warning is only there until you create the e-file. After you create it you can still print out the client copy for them to look at, then create it again after they sign the authorization forms. I always "create" the e-file to make sure there are no problems, and do it again when I'm ready to file.

Yes, MA has quirks. I'm always amazed when I do other states because they seem so straight-forward.

Wendy

It's not quite as simple as counting the e-filed forms; that page count serves a different purpose (and yes, it's a royal pain in the patootie).

The count is required for PAPER filing, because all the information gets encoded in the 2D bar symbols on the pages, and those pages get read by a scanner (which helps explain the truly abysmal print format; no one actually has to READ those horrid forms). The first page includes the total pages in the return -- if they don't match, the return gets kicked out for further scrutiny.

Sorry for the delay in response -- was out of the office most of the day.

Catherine

Agree with Clay, only file 3 MA returns. That's the only way I know how to count the pages. I wonder if that number has to be right. What if you put 5 pages and there is only 3 or maybe 6 pages?

Again, it's for the PAPER-filed returns (and don't forget the little "I do not want preparer to file my return electronically" checkbox!). They are read by machine and if the PAGE count doesn't match the coding, the Mass DOR folks have to pull it from processing and look at it in person. So you get to look at each form in the filing copy, count the total pages, and put in that number.