ATX Community

Energy Efficient Property

cientax

Here in Texas there is no state income tax so there is no energy efficient credits for state purposes. Recently there was a law passed for rebates but that does not apply to my question, next. What appliances (clothes washers, clothes dryers, dishwashers, window unit a/c's) qualify for the energy efficient tax credits for FEDERAL INCOME TAX purposes installed in personal residence? Also, are these items considered energy improvement property for the energy efficient tax credit for FEDERAL INCOME TAX purposes?

There is a Personal Energy Property Credit & a Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit for 2009 & 2010. Quickfinders (page 12-13) had a good list for the first credit. It includes windows, skylights, doors, A/C, heat pumps, furnace, boilers, water heaters, insulation, roofs and biomass stove. You have to be careful, but they must meet certain criteria. It also says to check Pub 17. They are reported on Form 5695.

I hope that helps.

These are the responses I wanted to have so that I can show them to my clients that insist that these appliances are eligible for the credit. I ccontinue to tell my clients that they do no qualify, the they all say the same thing 'so and so got a credit for his new washer and dryer' and so on. Then I tell them to go to so and so's tax preparer and get the credits there, cause you won't get it here. Thanks again.

I send my clients to Energy Star. I tell them if they find their make and model qualifies, to print it out for their file; and we'll take the credit. Had clients search for a gas fireplace and lots of kitchen appliances. I send them to CT's rebate program for appliances, but I think CT spent all the funds already. But, at least, I'm not the bad guy delivering the bad news. They hear it from someone/somewhere else.

I send my clients to Energy Star. I tell them if they find their make and model qualifies, to print it out for their file; and we'll take the credit. Had clients search for a gas fireplace and lots of kitchen appliances. I send them to CT's rebate program for appliances, but I think CT spent all the funds already. But, at least, I'm not the bad guy delivering the bad news. They hear it from someone/somewhere else.

Texas had approximately $23,000,000 to give away for Energy Star qualified rebates. They went in about 7 1/2 hours. I was able to get one for $150.00 for a new washer after trying for about 2 hours. You 1st have to reserve your rebate & then purchase the appliance within a specific time frame. It also has to be a brand & model listed on the website.

Eli