ATX Community

So Many Amendments

mcb39

In all of the years that I have been preparing tax returns, I have never had so many amendments to do just before the 15th. Had a client come in 2 days ago; wife had just received another W2; had a lady call the week before who had just received a 1099 Interest that day. Just had to do a 2006 return so the client could receive his $39 refund. (Of course, he had also not filed 2004 or 2005 either), so just did them all so I could get it behind me. These do not include the previously posted client who received the inherited IRA; received the money in 2009, received the 1099 in 2010 and it was dated 2008 so just finished amending 2008 for him and he took a massive hit. And then there are all of those first time homebuyers who have already filed 2009 and now want to amend to get their credit. I am running steadily behind and have begun to file extensions. Have never had a year like this one. Oh, and then there are the ones who filed on TurboTax and have found out that it was wrong and "Could you please fix this before the 15th?" Sometimes I wonder what I am doing in this business, but sometimes I help someone who really needs help and then I love it. :dunno:

I hear ya! Amended an 2008 return to take FTHBC in Nov 2009. IRS sent letter: Sorry this needs to be on the revised 5405 which WILL BE AVAILABLE Feb 2, 2010. (Yes, I should have known that, but this ^&*% credit is infuriating to me for a variety of reasons, and the client was DESPARATE to get that free money...)

YESTERDAY client comes back: Oops, IRS says you will have to amend 2009 to add 5405 cause my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2008.

Oh, is that right? Well, my young little first time home buyer, your 2008 return is ALSO going to be amended so you can pay back the tax on your exemption amount that you were not supposed to claim. Oops.

>>Just had to do a 2006 return so the client could receive his $39 refund<<

And, what? He only nets $14 after paying your fee?

Hardly! But they are holding his and his new wife's $3000 refund for 2009, so the sooner those returns are filed, the less they will take in interest and penalties. If he had only told us, we could have filed her injured spouse, because her record is clean and this CP20 came as a complete shock to her. No, they have paid the requisite fee in addition to the original filing fee and the fee for amending her 2008 return when she bought a house shortly before they were married. Thankfully, she kept him off of the home purchase as she knew his credit was shot. Isn't this a nice slate on which to start out a new marriage? Jainen, on this board, things are not always what they seem as you know only too well.