ATX Community

Florida Atlantic Univ - Masters in Forensic Acct'g

jasdlm

I want to sit the CPA exam. Although I have 148 UG hours and 123 Law/Graduate Business hours, I still need another 18 hours to meet the State's required courses/course distribution rules for sitting the exam :(. I did some research and am considering the Masters in Forensic Accounting at Florida Atlantic University. Anyone have any insight/information on this degree? It's offered online, although not self-paced. It's expensive, so I want to make certain it has a good reputation, etc. I really want to learn more about forensic accounting, and I would like to be stronger in corporate/partnership accounting.

Because I started accounting at the graduate level (never had an UG level accounting or business course), the State is also requiring me to go back and take the undergraduate level Accounting I and Managerial I courses . . . isn't it grand! I think I'm going to try to do those online through the local junior college.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

If I were beginning my accounting career at this time, I believe that Forensic Accounting would be my choice for specialization.

With the recent advent of the economic downturn as well as the Wall Street debacle just look at how many Ponzi schemes surfaced! In my opinion, this is only the tip of the iceberg. The new regulatory oversight announced just today by the president on Wall Street will require forensic professionals for years to come. Sarbanes Oxley compliance has added another requirement for this as well.

I am familiar with both a forensic accounting firm in California and a good friend who has a Sarbanes Oxley consulting firm headquartered in NJ and they both are quite successful. These successes come not only during economic booms but during one of the worst economic climates that we have seen. There is something to say about that! I could drivel on some more!

I am not familiar with Florida Atlantic University and as far as online courses, I would be a bit skeptical? You should if practical look to attend a program at an institution that has success in this area of accounting.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck and success.

Mike Dubin CPA