ATX Community

Dependent and AOC

AnnieR

Clients have a 31 year old son who lives with them, is a full time student and has no income other than his student loans. I know his parents can take an exemption for him, but, can they also take the American Opportunity Credit? Thanks in advance,

AnnieR

Clients have a 31 year old son who lives with them, is a full time student and has no income other than his student loans. I know his parents can take an exemption for him, but, can they also take the American Opportunity Credit? Thanks in advance,

AnnieR

The credit always follows the exemption. I don't see why not. However, do his student loans just cover his schooling or are they covering his living expenses?

Kinda old for a student. Is he still an undergraduate?

Yes he is. In this area of OH, it is not an unusual situation. Our unemployment rate is over 15% and obtaining more education is the only way to get ahead. It's a good solution, a few of my clients have given up working in factories, such as GM, Chrysler, the suppliers of those companies, the list just goes on and on, and they are going back to school, usually in the nursing (health) profession.

AnnieR.

I cannot find an age limit restriction that would rule it out. Is interesting. Here in WI, many of our "dislocated workers" are also pursuing further education. I am surprised there have not been more comments on your question.