ATX Community

ATX Moving?

Evan S. Golar

Folks - I'm NOT an ATX user - but I saw a post on another board that ATX is closing up shop (or dramatically cutting support staff) and moving down south, so that those of you who depend upon specific support service you've been accustomed to, will now change. The message was posted by an ex-ATX user.

Don't know how true this is - but I suggest you check this out and prepare yourselves before the start of tax season.

Evan,

We are aware of the news about ATX. And it comes from a very, very reliable source (can you say William) that the layoffs were 54 in number and not the 200 plus touted by the media. And ATX renewal rates are running ahead of last year. The layoffs (which apparently at this point do not involve any facility closures) are simply a consolidation of resources - which will be done by any well run organization.

Now, I did not catch which software package you are using?

Ron Fassett, CPA

Evan,

We are aware of the news about ATX. And it comes from a very, very reliable source (can you say William) that the layoffs were 54 in number and not the 200 plus touted by the media. And ATX renewal rates are running ahead of last year. The layoffs (which apparently at this point do not involve any facility closures) are simply a consolidation of resources - which will be done by any well run organization.

Ron Fassett, CPA

I use UltraTax from Thomson. I previously used MicroVision (TaxRelief) - but 5 years ago sold out to Creative Solutions. I felt that rather than simply price shop - stay with a big guy - because sooner or later the small guys will be eaten up by the big guys - so the price savings is only temporary.

Evan,

Ron Fassett, CPA

Ron,

The 54 number (yes I can say William) is the number of ATX full time employees. There were also another 50 seasonal employess laid off. I am not trying to get into a numbers argument but for some reason ATX (or CCH?) does not want the knowledge that cusotmer service and sales at Caribou, Maine is basicaly non-existent except for the reliable source you named.

John MacDonald

(ex ATX seasonal employee)

I find it interesting that one of the newest members (Dec 31) is named Glynn. Could this be our founder?

Hopefully, it is. And hopefully, he is looking for Mel in Hawaii to start a new product line. His non-compete must be up by about now.

But please, no airline tickets. (sorry, I could not resist).

Tom

Lodi, CA

If Glynn wanted to talk to me, he has my cell phone number, so does Steve. I haven't talked to him in a while, although I did get a Christmas Card from Steve and family. If it does happen to be him, he could have read the board without registering and since he hasn't confirmed, I doubt it's him. Also, if Glynn wanted to write another program, he wouldn't want me as he already has people at his disposal that are VERY capable of producing another program. As I remember, there used to be an ATX customer with the same name (at least back in 1999) with that spelling, I always found it interesting to talk to him as I thought the record in the database was either a mistake or a typo.

Remember, Glynn was starting another software company (dealing with educational software) last I talked to him, he would definately have programmers at hand.

Hopefully, it is. And hopefully, he is looking for Mel in Hawaii to start a new product line. His non-compete must be up by about now.

But please, no airline tickets. (sorry, I could not resist).

Tom

Lodi, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Folks - I'm NOT an ATX user - but I saw a post on another board that ATX is closing up shop (or dramatically cutting support staff) and moving down south, so that those of you who depend upon specific support service you've been accustomed to, will now change. The message was posted by an ex-ATX user.

Don't know how true this is - but I suggest you check this out and prepare yourselves before the start of tax season.

Evan, It appears that about 50 to 80 ATX sales and support people were laid off in late December. I already posted information about this on my post called "ATX layoffs!". I also attached an article about the layoffs. I think they are transferring all the calls from ATX Maine to a company called "TaxWise" (never heard of them). I don't know if these TaxWise people know about ATX products or not, but one of their tech guys seemed helpful to me. I just hope that they don't change MAX. I like MAX and I just hope they don't mess it up.

Evan,

Ron Fassett, CPA

Ron, actually the number was around 80 people (based I what I've read). I just wished the lay-offs were done better, because I spent days trying to call ATX and I kept getting cut off or I was on hold for too hold. I finally got through to someone who said he works for TaxWise. Very confusing.

ATX and Taxwise are the same company, Universal Tax Systems. ATX and Taxwise are product names, not companies. Both were purchased by CCH - Wolters Kluwer last year. Some duplicated services have been merged (customer support, sales, shipping, HR) but the core product areas are still separate with the Taxwise product line primarily in Georgia, ATX in Maine & Florida.

It's taking a little while for Tech Support to figure out their secret identities and stop answering the phones as Clark Kent. :)