ATX Community

Form 8879

Booger

Good morning, everybody. I would like to keep a SCANNED (pdf) copy of the signed 8879's, instead of the

originally signed 8879's. Does anybody know if the IRS will accept the pdf version if they come calling?

Booger

Hi Booger!

Hope you and the missus are enjoying the summer. _Excellent_ idea on scanning the 8879's, and I hope you don't mind if I steal it. That would get rid of a couple of _big_ folders in my files. (Thanks also to Margaret for posting the proof that this will be acceptable.)

Catherine

Hello online 'friends' Good to see you in touch again!

I began the path to paperless, not quite paperfree but closer, a couple of years ago. I emptied about 12 file storage boxes and 2 additional file cabinets. The space reclaimed in my home office was a room and a half. The major scanning was done by a part time person and I took all the documents to a certified shredding facility as it was too much to handle inhouse. Currently, we are able to keep up with the small amount generated. It is so freeing!

I do have multiple backups in a fireproof safe and offsite in my safe deposit box. I also have two monitor, side by side, on my desktop to have current and prior year returns open simultaneously. I can also look at the pdf copies of documents any time. I did purchase Adobe Pro and a Scansnap scanner. Good luck to all who pursue this path. I am so glad I did and wish I had done so sooner!