ATX Community

Q for use of online back up service

ILLMAS

This questions is for those that use an online service to perform backup of your data. Can you explain how ATX client data is backed up? Is the whole program backup, do you have to choose the folder that holds the client data? I really don't like the ATX backup feature, I find it simpler just to export the data files to a folder I created (ATX 2008, ATX 2009 etc...) then I do a backup of that folder. However I don't do this that often, so is why I want to know how that service works for programs that have client files.

Thanks

MAS

This questions is for those that use an online service to perform backup of your data. Can you explain how ATX client data is backed up? Is the whole program backup, do you have to choose the folder that holds the client data? I really don't like the ATX backup feature, I find it simpler just to export the data files to a folder I created (ATX 2008, ATX 2009 etc...) then I do a backup of that folder. However I don't do this that often, so is why I want to know how that service works for programs that have client files.

Thanks

MAS

With most online backup services, you choose the folders and data you want backed up when you set up the back up. You may choose, for example, to not pay for the space to have your music backed up at work when you have it all at home too.

Once you choose the backup set, that set will get backed up every day. I have all my client files backed up daily, and the data folders with all the .atx files as well. Online backups do NOT, generally, include executable (program) files. Data only. So it's still a good idea to have a local backup that will do what is called a "cold metal restore" -- that is, able to restore to a brand-new machine with all your program files as well as data. So if you come in one morning to find your machine stone-dead (or hit by a meteorite & there's just a blob of metal where it used to be), you get the basic machine ready to go from the local restore, then your data up to yesterday's automatic backup time from the online source. That's the theory, anyway, and I know of at least one tax office that used something very similar to that kind of system to very good effect in mid-tax-season a few years ago. May none of us ever need to test the theory!!

Catherine

Thanks, I like bare metal restore, I am thinking of buying a new PC soon and I would just like to transfer my info by a simple restore. It seems I would have to purchase a software to do a that type of backup right?

Yes, software is needed for that but if you have good backup software now that might do it. I use Acronis True Image and it does cold metal restore. I've heard good things about Symantec Enterprise Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 and something from Maxtor, as well.