ATX Community

Cannot access backup location

Taxlave

Rather than saving returns in the default location, I save all data files in "Documents" (AKA My Documents). This facilitates backing up all data from all sources, not just ATX. Anyway, I have a new computer, the 2009 program is not installed, but the backup files are located in "Documents". I can't restore, rollover, or even backup a new file to that location.

I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit. I am the administrator and I have full access rights. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Interesting that this should post today. I just bought a new computer and am having the exact same problem.

I too don't have the 2009 program on the new computer but do have the data files and can't rollover the '09 returns.

I am going to install the 2009 program files and see if that is successful.

Please post if you get it resolved.

Thanks

Dave T

I store all my data files in the "My Documents" folder. I tried moving the backup files to root directory, but no joy :( Still says it can't find 2009 files.

I had a windows XP 32 bit-computer. In December 2009, I bought a new Windows 7 64-bit computer and I installed ATX 2007 and then copied the data for 2007. I tested 2007 by opening a couple of returns and made a little change on a form and resave it.

I installed 2008 and copied the data for 2008 and tested it.

Finally I installed 2009 and tested it by rolling over a return and worked on it. NO PROBLEMS.

You should do the same. If 2009 is working properly, then you know it is a flaw with the new, 2010 software package.

For those who have both programs installed but installed them backwards, please open a return in 2009, save it and try to roll it over to 2010.

As a last choice, you should install 2010 on the old computer, roll over all the returns from 2009, test it and then copy the whole database folder to the new Windows 7 computer.

I should admit that I am not that creative and I let the program dictate where it wants the data by default. Regarding the back up, if a tax paperer forgets to make sure that ATX data is backed up because it is NOT under documents, something is wrong with his/her "computer".

The only other thing that I can think of is that the account that runs ATX is not your account that that account doesn't have full permissions to your profile (I don't expect this paragragh to make much sense anyways).

I store all my data files in the "My Documents" folder. I tried moving the backup files to root directory, but no joy :( Still says it can't find 2009 files.

Taxlave,

Have you been able to rollover your 2009 returns yet? I still haven't been able to and was wondering if you could? I believe you said you were going to contact ATX support and was wondering if so and whether it was helpful?

To make matters worse, I'm not able to access the 2009 program on my old computer. I keep getting an error message that the database is being optimized, whatever that means, and won't open.

Not sure what to do at this point and was looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Dave T

Hey Dave,

I think my last post went awry, but yes, I spoke with ATX/CCH. Their solution was to install 2009, which we both know doesn't work. The only thing I have left of the 2009 program is the backup files, which are obviously worthless. I've started re-entering all the information as I only use this program for w-2's and 1099's. I think the programmer's need to be a little more forgiving to those of us that don't use the default directories. I could be wrong, but I don't think I had this problem before CCH merged the Zillion Forms and Intelliforms programs.

Good Luck!