ATX Community

billing invoice

grandmabee

I tried to customize it, and it even appeared to work, but when I went back into a return, and deleted the old billing form, then added the new version, it was identical. Apparently they have decided, for reasons beyond my comprehension, that it should be locked to us. Not that I care about that, what I do not like is that the "Description" listing all forms in the return is now also 'locked' and can not be removed. I do not want it there, but so far I have not figured out how to remove it.

I tried to customize it, and it even appeared to work, but when I went back into a return, and deleted the old billing form, then added the new version, it was identical. Apparently they have decided, for reasons beyond my comprehension, that it should be locked to us. Not that I care about that, what I do not like is that the "Description" listing all forms in the return is now also 'locked' and can not be removed. I do not want it there, but so far I have not figured out how to remove it.

KC,

Are you wanting to remove the entire forms listing, or just the word "Description"?

The listing may be removed by unchecking a box on the options page. If you want to just eliminate the word, simply navigate to the first letter of word, hit "Delete" on your keyboard, and override the field. You should be able to do that on the master form, and have the changes whenever you open it.

I wanted to eliminate the entire listing, and I have unchecked the box, but the list is still printing. I finally figured out that if I check the box for "Always display list ....on 'Forms Statement" it will take it off the invoice, then I just have to make sure not to actually print the Forms Statement. There should be an option for Don't print list of forms at all, IMHO.

bcolleen,

I have heard that there is an update on its way today or tomorrow to bring back the margin. You might want to contact the Forms Pipeline to verify.

kc,

There is another workaround that might be simpler:

1. Check "By Form/Schedule"

2. Note the amount to be billed, and add it to the amount line for "Flat Fee Billing"

3. Uncheck "By Form/Schedule" and Check "Flat Fee Billing"

The forms and schedules won't appear on the invoice anywhere, but you will have billed the same amount.

Sadly, it is not that simple. I ALWAYS use Flat fee billing, and never check 'by form', but unless I tell it to put the forms on the separate schedule, it still prints them.

So you just want a flat billing for tax preparatrion?

I use custom and just check flat billing and only have to put the dollar amount in box and I have no list of forms or anything else that prints.

I'm trying something new this year, but haven't gotten it to work yet. I want to bill by the form (using prices from the NSA) and use a discount to arrive at a figure about what it was last year. I put the prices in at the apropriate place (I think) in Return Manager, but when I call up an invoice and check price by form, nothing. Maybe the update that came in yesterday will help.

Sadly, it is not that simple. I ALWAYS use Flat fee billing, and never check 'by form', but unless I tell it to put the forms on the separate schedule, it still prints them.

KC, do you have any form rates set? If so, and you don't need them, you can re-set your form rates to zero and the forms will no longer appear. You might make a request for them to change the default to not display unless the "By Form/Schedule" box is checked.

I'm trying something new this year, but haven't gotten it to work yet. I want to bill by the form (using prices from the NSA) and use a discount to arrive at a figure about what it was last year. I put the prices in at the apropriate place (I think) in Return Manager, but when I call up an invoice and check price by form, nothing. Maybe the update that came in yesterday will help.

SaminGeorgia,

When you open a new return with a new invoice, are your rates there? Did you have your return open before you set your form values? If so, those rates are locked in unless you change them using "For this return". Here is what the Help Menu (F11 key) says,

"IMPORTANT: The global rates for each return automatically assign the global rates as they existed at the time the return is first created. This is by design, so the invoice does not change for returns that are in progress or completed. Changing the Global Form Rates amounts or using the Change Form Rates option only affects new returns opened after the changes are implemented. If you rollover your billing rates from one year to the next, and you know that you want to change some of the rates, you are highly encouraged to change your rates BEFORE opening any returns. Otherwise, you have to make changes to previously opened returns on a per-return basis."

KC, do you have any form rates set? If so, and you don't need them, you can re-set your form rates to zero and the forms will no longer appear. You might make a request for them to change the default to not display unless the "By Form/Schedule" box is checked.

Yes, I have forms rates set, and I use them as the 'starting place' for determining the amount I charge, but I may increase or decrease that amount depending on a number of things, such as the t/p's occupation, his PITA status, known issues he has that increase the chances of needing follow-up time from me, etc. So I want the rates there, just do not want any 'list' at the bottom of the invoice, with or without prices. Ultimately, my fee is my fee, take it or leave it.