ATX Community

Pd Preparer who doesn't E-file, still a PTIN

MargaretMort

A friend (who used to work at the IRS) asked my opinion about this today. A gentleman who used to be a CPA, but has been retired for a few years, has agreed to do someone's taxes. He intends to charge for and sign the return. Then he saw that he would need to pay the $64+ to be a paid preparer. He doesn't want to do that. The question is: Does he really need to have a PTIN if he isn't E-filing? I told my friend I would put this out for your discussion. And I thank you in advance. MM

From IRS website: New regulations require all paid tax return preparers (including attorneys, CPAs, and enrolled agents) to apply for a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) — even if you already have one — before preparing any federal tax returns in 2011.

The preparer does not need an EFIN if not efiling. The P is preparer, the E is electronic, not the same thing.

IRS Notice 2011-11, dated 1-25-2011, says that a paid preparer can continue to file without a PTIN, if "THEY HAVE MADE A GOOD FAITH EFFORT TO OBTAIN A PTIN". This was issued for the benefit of those whose applications have been delayed, or still in process. My opinion, no effort, no can do, although filing one return probably would slip through.

Gerald