ATX Community

Self prepared return (yours)

GeorgeM

I have prepared my own return, and on the EF - E-File form I marked it as self-prepared, and the audits are all fine except when I went to print the 8829 form it was not there.

Do you have to complete a form 8829 for a self prepared return?

Also has anyone tried to do a non paid return. The one time I tried I got an error.

Did you ever find an answer for this?

I would like to do something similar, but not related to e-filing.

I am now in a partnership with my aunt. She is the tax matters partner and always does the taxes by hand. (I will probably take this over at some point but I've never done a 1065.) I was going to print the forms for her with all the header info already filled in. But I'm not the preparer and so I don't want my info to show at the bottom of the form. How do I remove it?

It does look like I can now print without the warnings of all the forms still being Draft!!

Did you get your info removed from the paid preparer section of the 1040?

Thanks

If you select Non-Paid Preparer in the PO tab then it prints that in the sig section of the return with the PTIN & EIN. Not sure why it would print these since you arent getting paid.

If you select Self Prepared in the EF tab then the program generates a green audit saying "you will likely be contacted by the IRS if you choose to file without a PTIN". Last time I checked we werent require to provide a PTIN if we dont get paid and Im guesssing not many preparers charge themselves for their person return.

I asssume you mean 8879. If its self prepared I dont think you need one, but I havent really researched it in depth.