ATX Community

Disappearing Clients

Terry D EA

I have called TRX support twice on this issue with no luck. I have had two returns completely deleted from the client profile without warning. First time, the support agent couldn't help and said the return was gone. Fortunately, I still had the client information to re-create the return from scratch. Tonight same thing only different client!!!! I need to know what is going on, why, and how to fix this and keep it fixed. I am booked solid tomorrow and don't really want to continue to use the program. Can someone from RedGear call me or give me a number to contact them for help.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not moved the clients that disappeared and yes I have multiple backups. Here is the amazing thing, the client names show under the client management tab. I know it seems wierd and I promise I am not crazy, but by the time this is solved I might be, the clients have disappeared from the client profile as well as every backup that I have including back blaze that we checked and figured that was a sure fired way to retreive them. However, nothing !!! and now it is call the one client to see if she would be so kind to let me see her return so I can recreate it. If there is anything comforting about this is these returns do contain the Sch A which I did not transmit yet so the client is not expecting their refund for a while. No one in support can figure this out and they have seriously tried.

Hi Terry/Ed,

I just wanted to acknowledge that I have seen this and will be working it as fast as I can. I have also subscribed to this so that I can keep track of it, and future issues/concerns that come up.

I hope aside from this, Terry, that your tax season has been good so far.

Talk to you soon.

Ryan

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if we have identitied and resolved this issue because we cannot duplicate it. However, in our attempts to determine what is happening we did see what may be contributing to it, and it is in testing right now, and scheduled to be released tomorrow afternoon.

If anyone experiences this after tomorrow late afternoon, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

Just to keep you in the loop, one of the updates that was completed earlier today has corrected some issues with the inability to roll clients forward from the previous year. Also, I have been getting an error window quite frequently and that has appeared to stop as well. Thanks so much for looking into this. I have a print screen image of the error window. Can I e-mail that to you for your perusal?

It has been posted here before, so I will add it again; [email protected]

To all, please use this email only in cases of emergency or to send me something like this; you have all been wonderful in this regard, and I appreciate it. Going through the forum not only ensures I can add the proper notes for everyone to see, but helps me not to lose track of things when they come to me personally. When needed, you are more than welcome to contact me at that email address.

Thanks everyone.

Ryan

Okay, thank you for the feedback. I suspect there is a missing dll/file on your machine.

The next time you get that, will you please take a screen shot and email it to me? That would be helpful, and if able, I may have someone from my team actually call you to walk through what can be done, if it isn't a global fix needed.

Thanks,

Ryan

I get the Microsoft .NET error messages, too. I also get lots of errors when I try to correct any differences in depreciation in the 2009 TaxWorks files converted from ATX. Like DonnaA, they don't seem to be causing any problems so I haven't done much about them.

I got them a lot at first and decided to uninstall & reinstall 2009 & 2010. Seemed to get a little better & then started getting the errors again. I kept an extensive log for a few days and e-mailed to TRX. Never heard back (maybe the 16 page attachment scared them off?). But, as I said, the error messages don't seem to be causing any problems so I haven't pursued.

I do remember getting an error a couple of times that a client file might be corrupt & to rebuild (?) all my .DLL files. (Sorry, I don't have my notes in front of me.)

I'd be happy to send you my notes if you are really bored and have the time. Or, I can continue to blow it off (until something truly fails)!

Thanks

That fix should be permanant. What I found out is that the .NET framework with UAC turned on doesn't like our program too much. Actually, isn't just the tax program, it doesn't like many others with that control turned on. I confirmed that our way of getting through it was released on 8.6, so we should be good to go at this point.

If for some reason someone gets it, you can also follow the steps below, but it would be best to just make sure you have all latest upgrades so that you don't have it going forward:

1. Disable UAC

2. Reboot machine

3. Register all files

Thanks, Donna.

Ryan

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I can find how to disable UAC. But, how do I register all files?

I turned UAC on in my Vista machine to make my OLD tax programs work. I did the same for Win 7 "just to be safe." But I don't use the old years' programs much anymore & will be quite happy to disable UAC. And maybe the old programs will play better with Win 7 than with Vista!)

My experience with Windows 7 has been much better than with Vista, with both UAC on and off.

I am speaking without validating, but to register all files I am quite sure you go to the "Support Tool" and then there is a register menu. Select register all, and you should be in good shape.

Thansk, Kea.

Found it. In the 2010 TaxWorks program it's:

Workbench --> Support Tool (enter password) --> Registry --> Register all Files. Wait for it to register

It said "There were errors registering the files", so I did it again. 2nd time is said "All files have been registered."

Yay! Let's see if that helps.

Thanks so much, Ryan. Much less painful than calling in to support!

Kea

PS I agree that Win 7 is much better than Vista. (At least so far.)

• 2 weeks later...

Disabling UAC has helped A LOT!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I'm not going to say it got rid of all the error messages, but I can now edit a 2009 asset without getting errors almost every time I hit "enter." I don't think I've had any .NET errors in a while, either.

Every once in a while I have a problem with the upgrader. But it seems to be late at night & I shut down. Seems to work the next morning.

I haven't had any disappearing client issues. I hope that Terry's issue got resolved.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not moved the clients that disappeared and yes I have multiple backups. Here is the amazing thing, the client names show under the client management tab. I know it seems wierd and I promise I am not crazy, but by the time this is solved I might be, the clients have disappeared from the client profile as well as every backup that I have including back blaze that we checked and figured that was a sure fired way to retreive them. However, nothing !!! and now it is call the one client to see if she would be so kind to let me see her return so I can recreate it. If there is anything comforting about this is these returns do contain the Sch A which I did not transmit yet so the client is not expecting their refund for a while. No one in support can figure this out and they have seriously tried.

Terry, did you ever find a resolution to this problem? The very same thing happened to me just now, and I remembered you relating your experience which seems similar to mine. My client has disappeared from everywhere except the Client Management window. It even shows the correct refund in the CM list. But I can't access the return. This happened after the software froze up. I'll try support in the morning, but I thought you - or someone else - might have a suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

Alot of time has passed since this problem occurred. There was not a real resolution to this problem. The clients were gone forever and all of the returns had to be re-created. I did not experience any furhter problems. Good luck with getting this fixed.