ATX Community

FEMA

ILLMAS

New TP called to make an appointment and she was telling that she visited the local IRS and was told she can claim loses on her tax return and that the government would cover dollar per dollar, but she had to see a tax professional to prepare her tax return. I have never encounter a situation like this before, only casualty loses, but I wanted to see if someone can guide in the right direction. I find hard to believe the government would cover dollar per dollar on loses. I did a quick search and it seems the area is a disaster area designated by Pres. Obama.

Seven counties (Carroll, Cook, DuPage, Jo Daviess, Ogle, Stephenson and Winnebago) were designated a disaster area by President Obama. Before visiting a DRC, residents of those counties who had flood damage between July 22 and Aug. 7 are encouraged to apply for disaster assistance. Call 800-621-FEMA (3362), (TTY) 800-462-7585 seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT, or apply online at www.disasterassistance.gov/. Help in other languages is available.

TP already received money from FEMA, but she claims it was not enough to cover her loses, I explained to her FMV on items and how you cannot claim 100% of the cost. Well any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks