ATX Community

5405 Payback

taxguy057

I have a client who received the first time home buyers credit in 2008. Of course this year have to payback the 500.00 installment. I submitted the return filling out section IV on page two of form 5405 and recieved an error stating "First-Time Homebuyer Credit Repayment Amount cannot exceed the credit received." Now if memory serves me correct and there hasnt been a change in our numbers system as we now it, isnt 7500.00 more than 500.00?? LOL!

What have I screwed up?? :dunno:

Thx!

TG

I have a client who received the first time home buyers credit in 2008. Of course this year have to payback the 500.00 installment. I submitted the return filling out section IV on page two of form 5405 and recieved an error stating "First-Time Homebuyer Credit Repayment Amount cannot exceed the credit received." Now if memory serves me correct and there hasnt been a change in our numbers system as we now it, isnt 7500.00 more than 500.00?? LOL!

What have I screwed up?? :dunno:

Thx!

TG

Maybe just a glitch. Try updating and/or rebooting.

Eli

Also, has his filing status changed? That could also affect the payback.

My clients have been bringing in the letters they received from IRS. But in the case of a husband and a wife, each received a letter claiming the payback of 250.00.

Just a thought!

Deb!

Was MFJ but house is in wife name but they filed together the year receiving the credit and this year so would that make a difference? And got letter from IRS which states they got 7500 credit and payback for next 15 yrs would be 500.