ATX Community

Two States?

Crank

Have a client that lived and worked in PA for the 1st half of 2010 then took a job in MD in the second half of 2010. Still owns the home in PA, not on the market yet, has an apartment in MD. One w-2 lists PA address and the other lists the MD address. Client acquired a MD Drivers license and plates (I believe). He plans on listing the house and purchasing another in MD possibly this year (2011)

How do I determine which locations are the Resident and Non-Resident State or do I have 2 Resident states each for 1/2 of the year?

Have a client that lived and worked in PA for the 1st half of 2010 then took a job in MD in the second half of 2010. Still owns the home in PA, not on the market yet, has an apartment in MD. One w-2 lists PA address and the other lists the MD address. Client acquired a MD Drivers license and plates (I believe). He plans on listing the house and purchasing another in MD possibly this year (2011)

How do I determine which locations are the Resident and Non-Resident State or do I have 2 Resident states each for 1/2 of the year?

You should file a part year resident in each state. I know CT and Ma and RI allow this PA and MD should do the same.

Thanks George. I believe you are correct as I did some research and it points toward this.

Wondering how to allocated other items such as interest, dividends & capital transactions. Leaning toward capital trasactions allocated based on the date of sale, interet based on location of institution (one is in PA and another in MD), and prorating the dividends based on dates of residence.

Yep, thats what I did.

The W-2 were easy since it was a new job so the w-2s corresponded to each individual state. I divided interest and dividends pro-rata and stock sale as of the sale date. The only issue Im am still researching is that MD's return does a calcualtion based on the % of time as a resident and applies that to the federal returns numbers. Since it does this there is an allowance to deduct the income attributable to the other state (Pa) on the MD form. All 3 are being efiled and I havent found anything stating that a physical copy of the federal or Pa returns need to be mailed to MD to verify these amounts. It would be so easy if the efiles were able to do this.

Wondering if I should just have the TP mail copies of the Fed & Pa to MD anyway but dont want to complicate the process if it is unnecessary.

Thanks for the replies! :)

John