ATX Community

HELP! with network installation

HV Ken

Hi. This is my first season wanting to run two computers networked. I am on Fios and networked via the Fios router. The "main" computer is running XP Pro and the second computer is running XP. I have MAX.

I am trying to follow the installation instructions (KB 14660), but I find them to be rather lacking.

I did a custom install as the instructions state.

Step 6 says "choose a unique installation folder". Does that mean it has to be something different than ATX2007? I took the default of ATX2007.

Step 7 says to follow the on-screen instructions. It didn't seem any different to me than a Standard Installation. It just installed the software and that was it.

Now the newtwork instructions....

Step 3 says to double-click the server icon (such as S:\Server). I really don't have a server. I just have two computers connected via the Fios router - i.e. a home network.

At this point I am totally confused and not sure how to proceed. Can someone please help me with this setup?

If someone would be willing to help me via phone, send me a message and I will call. Thanks.

OK - so then I run NetSetup.exe on the main computer, right?

Then on the second computer, also do an install and run NetSetup?

And that's it? Aren't they supposed to share the database from the main computer? I am still not getting it.

No, you don't run Netsetup on the server, you just run it on the "workstation" (second computer)

You go to "My computer" on the second computer, then double click on the Server (computer that you installed program on), navigate to the ATX2007 (or whatever you named it) folder, find Netsetup (in the netsetup folder) and double click on it. It will run and set up a folder on your second (workstation) computer. At some time you will need to come up with a login name and password for the second computer.

Bill

Sorry if I'm not fully explaining everything, but I'm just checking the board in a hurry. Today is "Moving Day", moving all our computers from home to our new office.

I assumed that if you had your router installed that you already were sharing drives on both computers with each other?

I know Windows XP firewall doesn't like for you to share the root (C:\) drive, but I do it anyway. That makes it easier to share files across the network. I figure with a router, I already have a hardware firewall to the internet.

Can you see your 1st computer from My Computer on your 2nd computer across the network?

Bill

Thanks for your help.

No, I don't share the drives. I only share selected folders. So in this case, I should share the entire ATX2007 folder from the main computer so that the second computer sees it?

I think there are still some basics that I am missing....

OK - So I shared the ATX2007 from the main computer. It said it set all the permissions on the subdirs.

I ran NetSetup on the second computer. I executed ATX2007 and I get this error:

The program subfolder doesn't have the correct permissions set, and the program is unable to complete this task.

Please check with your systems administrator to verify that the permissions set for the folder allow the proper access.

Do I need to explicitly share each ATX2007 subfolder?

Thanks KC and Bill,

With your tips I now have my two computers running networked!

One more question -

When I initiate ATX2007 on the second computer, I always get the Open File - Security Warning pop-up for ATX2007.EXE and I have to click Run. Is there something I need to set somewhere to avoid this pop-up, or is this just the way the networked computer operates?

Thanks KC and Bill,

With your tips I now have my two computers running networked!

One more question -

When I initiate ATX2007 on the second computer, I always get the Open File - Security Warning pop-up for ATX2007.EXE and I have to click Run. Is there something I need to set somewhere to avoid this pop-up, or is this just the way the networked computer operates?

I had a similar problem and Nicole helped me out by telling me:

To correct this problem, modify the Microsoft® Internet Explorer (IE) Local intranet settings on each computer receiving this message.

To modify IE Local intranet settings

1. Double-click the My Computer desktop shortcut.

2. Under Other Places, click Control Panel.

3. Double-click Internet Options.

4. In the Internet Properties window, click the Security tab.

5. Select Local Intranet, and then click Sites.

6. Mark all three check boxes, and then click Advanced.

7. Under Add this Web site to the zone, type file://<Server Name> (where <Server Name> is your server computer's name). If you do not know the name of your server, see the procedure below.

8. Click Add, and then click OK.

9. Click OK in each open window, and then close the Control Panel.

You will now be able to open your ATX software without receiving this error.

Follow the procedure below if you need to determine the name of your server (see step 7 above).

To determine the name of your server

1. On the desktop of the server, right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Computer Name tab.

3. Note your server's name as it appears in the Full computer name field.

I followed her instructions and it took care of that problem.

Hope this helps!

Deb