ATX Community

Client Request

Terry D EA

Had a client e-mail me her rental property information. A little background, this property was converted from personal vacation property to vacation rental property in 2010. Here is the kicker, she gave me the figures and said she would like for me to do all I can to show a loss and if it looked close, call her and she will help me make that happen. Are they kidding? I don't know how many more I can take this year.

Makes you want to scream, doesn't it?

Some of these people need to learn that tax planning takes place BEFORE the bell tolls on the new year. After that, it is just a matter of recordation of the history. Yes, there are often times things that can be done during the preparation stage from a "planning perspective" where elections are involved, but the facts are the facts, lady. Just give me the facts.

I feel your pain Terry D.

Had a client e-mail me her rental property information. A little background, this property was converted from personal vacation property to vacation rental property in 2010. Here is the kicker, she gave me the figures and said she would like for me to do all I can to show a loss and if it looked close, call her and she will help me make that happen. Are they kidding? I don't know how many more I can take this year.

People like these, I fired them while they are my visitors.

As you know, it is easier to fire visitors than someone who has been your client for a couple of years. For my clients, I take the time to explain.

Yesterday. Grandma (about 40) came in all distraught cause son (who is a parent, Lord, help us) missed the truckload of EIC that is typical in this town. Son claimed all these bogus expenses on Sch C, even Office in Home. "Showed" (don't you love that word?) a $22 loss. W-2 income was about $500. Friend did the return.

Grandma wants me to amend and take off the expenses: "He didn't have any expenses. This girl really screwed this up."

Uh, whatever, Granny.

I love it when people are too dumb to cheat right. Son is not even custodial parent.

new client, do return, gets 400 refund, looks good to me, compare to last year 4,000 refund. ok why, big loss on sales etc, long story short, zero taxable income 4,000 in withholdings. now he said "I always get 4k refund". OK, send last 5 yrs returns, yes tax is about 4k per year, as was this year, 2009 was exception, but his withholdings go from 10k 5 years ago to 4500 this year, what's wrong with this picture?

client "DAA I quess changing my W2 does have an affect on the refund."

gotta love them, he paid bill even for the extra time and said he will see me next year, we will see.

>> she will help me <<

Sounds like a cry for help, and to my ears that means a good tax planning engagement. Most clients don't ask for consultation that clearly. The successful professional, of course, would start by reversing the subject and predicate.