ATX Community

PDF of all TP's Tax Returns

David

I have seen several posts where many seem to make a PDF copy of all of their clients' tax returns and save it to the client's folder.

I am curious why this is done since we have a copy of their tax return in the ATX software. I'm sure there is a good reason and I am not realizing the benefit.

On another note - I have a directory with folders for all clients and subfolders for each year. I keep tax documents, correspondence, etc. in each of these folders.

I heard rave reviews about the ATX document manager. However, it seems as though I cannot incorporate my current system within the document manager.

Is there any benefit beyond what I am doing by using document manager?

Thanks.

Basically, it sounds like you are doing manually what the Doc Manager does automatically, that is, setting up folders for client with sub-folders for each year.

As to why keep a pdf copy, that is because you can find and print a pdf file even if you can not, for some [or any] reason, open up the tax program to print one. And you can back up the folder with the pdf files, and copy it to any computer, even one that does not have the tax software on it.

I keep a pdf of each client's return because it is easier to resend if needed; I don't need to back up the entire program to have a client return copy; if my program crashes I still have access to the returns in a usable form; I create a pdf to send to the client to review anyway, password protected, so why not keep it?; I have a copy of the client's return right with all the supporting documentation in one place. There may be even more reasons such as, I've always done it that way, but I haven't and I like the other reasons instead! Diff'rent strokes...

Thanks everyone for the input. It makes sense.

As far as starting to use the document manager - have any of you used the manual system I am using and switched to using document manager? If so, how did you incorporate or merge the two systems?

Or did you start a new directory with document manager?

Thanks.

I use the manual system. Maybe I'm not understanding the auto ATX filing system but it seems to file by year, then all clients. I like to file by client, then all years listed under the client. Maybe I should look into the file manager system and learn more about it. But that'll have to wait now until the off season.

I use ArkWorks because it lets me create passwords on any documents that I email clients. When we first started it, It copied all the client names from ATX and created the subfolders for years and then under that for Return, Correspondence, Supporting Documents, SIgned Documents (whatever you tell it you want.) I don' t know if they can copy over your manual system, but they respond well when I have a question by email. On the other hand, if you system is working for you and you are used to it, why spend the money for a document manager?

Thanks for the input.

The reason I am considering the ATC document manager is because I am already paying for it in my package deal and I figured I should use it if I am paying for it. Plus I have read posts on this site that had raving reviews for the doc manager.

However, I don't see much difference between the doc manager and what I am doing now. I thought maybe the doc manager would be less manual, but I still have to print the tax return and anything else just as I do with my manual system. I thought maybe there would be a quick button or something that would automatically print the tax return, etc.

Since it seemes as though many are using the doc manager program, I wanted to understand what I must be missing regarding the benefits of using the doc manager vs. my manual system.

Thanks for any insight.

Well, the doc manager does set up the subfolders for each client, including not only for each year but within each year it sets up folders for the tax return, for Source documents, for Work Papers, and for Client Write-up, as well as one folder for Permanent files. So it's basically doing for you automatically what you would have to manually set up for each new client.