ATX Community

wheres my refund?!?

KEYWEST_RICKS

I told the client that the refund would PROBABLY be in her account on friday 2/25... she calls me on fri and says its not there. we look on the irs web site and it says will be deposited on 3/1. today still no refund in her account. If i call the 800 number for wheres my refund it still says will be refunded 3/1/11.... however the web site now says no information is avail on the refund and to wait one week to check back. of course client is used to getting refund in late jan..... had to wait until 2/14 to file this year....now this. they are being very understanding about it but also very anxious.

anyone else had a situation like this ???

I told the client that the refund would PROBABLY be in her account on friday 2/25... she calls me on fri and says its not there. we look on the irs web site and it says will be deposited on 3/1. today still no refund in her account. If i call the 800 number for wheres my refund it still says will be refunded 3/1/11.... however the web site now says no information is avail on the refund and to wait one week to check back. of course client is used to getting refund in late jan..... had to wait until 2/14 to file this year....now this. they are being very understanding about it but also very anxious.

Some banks will show the money the following day. Ask her to check tomorrow. The money will be there. If you verified the routing number and account, the money should be there tomorrow.

When people ask me "When will I get the money?" I reply, "when the IRS deposits it to your account. Please give me a call when they do that". I go on and tell them, "I am joking, you don't have to call me".

I did have one very similar to your situation this year....but only one. Website did change dates, etc..as you stated. I called the e-file practioner help desk (you can get the number off the IRS.gov site...just not in my office at the moment). The help desk told me that the return was indeed delayed for a week, but should be deposited the following week as shown on the refund cycle chart. The help desk said the situation appeared to be an "internal glitch" within their system as she could offer no explanation for the delay.

In all of the years of my e-filing deposit delays, there has always been a reason that caused a delay.....not so in this case. The client did receive her refund in her account the following Friday....however, there is still no valid explanation as to what happened other than an "internal glitch".

This one particular client was in dire need of the deposit as spouse was layed-off. Seems as an "internal glitch" can happen to the wrong taxpayer at the wrong time> :(

So now, I'm sure to tell my clients (as I always have done in the past) that out of the many returns I've e-filed thus far this year, one deposit was delayed a week...so "don't count your chickens before they hatch" yada, yada, yada....

Take care,

Cathy

I always point out that I have no control over IRS computers. I tell them to look for it on the scheduled date & a week later. If not deposited by then, I'll help them "look for it." I've had very few calls on missing / late deposits.

And it always seems to happen to the client who is most anxious to get the refund fast. But I understand that the IRS did have some kind of problem a couple of weeks ago, that is probably what caused the delay. Only one I had so far was also someone looking for it to use to pay for a car repair. They too got it a week late.