ATX Community

SPIFS

MargaretMort

Client is outside salesman. Won two contests from two different companies represented by the business--is not self employed. The 1099-s are both with income in Box 7 instead of Box 3. I want to put the amounts on Line 21 as other income. Is there a way I can show the 1099-Misc with Box 7 and tell it to put it on Line 21? I know I can just enter the amounts as other income but expect the IRS will be looking for a Sch C.

Thanks in advance, as always. MM

No, he's in the business of being an employee, and these payments, to be Spiffs, must come from some one other than his employer. The law just recognizes that when an employee of Company A gets paid an Incentive Prize, under whatever name, from Company B, which has no relationship to Company A except that Company A sells the products of B, it is not self-employment income, and while it is taxable, it is not subject to SE tax.

>>the IRS will be looking for a Sch C<<

Get a power of attorney on file with IRS, and tell the client to send you the IRS letter as soon as it comes this summer. You'll have more success phoning the IRS than calling the company.

Brilliant idea, j!!! Rather than comtemplating the "what ifs" later down the road, I'm going to incorporate your suggestion on such cases before hand rather than after the fact.

Cathy