ATX Community

most outrageous thing

jainen

We've had some threads about the most outrageous things our clients say. How about the most outrageous thing--that was just almost believable so you got talked into accepting?

I have a client that got married last June, but doesn't live with her husband yet. She only visits him on the weekends, 25 miles away, then returns to her own place. Of course, they both have their own kids so its HoH all around.

We've had some threads about the most outrageous things our clients say. How about the most outrageous thing--that was just almost believable so you got talked into accepting?

I have a client that got married last June, but doesn't live with her husband yet. She only visits him on the weekends, 25 miles away, then returns to her own place. Of course, they both have their own kids so its HoH all around.

I can see how anyone could ALMOST accept that since they didn't live together for the last 6 months of the year and their home was the main home for each set of children. When I get similar answers (they didn't live together for the last 6 months of the year), I asked, when was the last time you cohabited? If they don't understand that, I use the 3 letter word or the 4 letter word.

This is what I was falling for. Visitor/potential client came and showed me a 34K 1099-misc. I made a quick calculation and he explained his expenses and I told him, he was going to owe. I asked him, if he had another income for 2010 and he said NO. Which was true. He had a child and he was HH. I was going to do his taxes and I checked his 2009 return. He got a refund. I was surprised why he didn't ask me... "Why I have to pay now if last year I got a refund". As I was looking at the return, even though he didn't ask, I tried to give him a logical explanation of the difference. I said: "Last year your EIC was bigger because you made only 17K in 1099." He said yes, it is my mistake because normally I change social security numbers in the middle year and I only report income on my own SS#. I didn't commented that statement and went back you his 1099-misc, put it together and handed his papers and said... I cannot do your taxes... what you are doing is illegal and the consequences are going to harsh on you because that's called fraud. I called my next client.

I know 2010 was OK (maybe), BUT I do not want that kind of clients.

I can see how easy it would be to make that sort of mistake.

I think I'm going to put a reminder in outlook today for around June 30:

"Remember to change social security numbers in order to maximize EIC".

(You were smart to send him packing)

Now that is ingenious, use a fake SS number for the first half year, then change to your real number.....Sounds like the next year he kept the real one for the first half, expecting to change jobs and numbers in July, but given the economy, he decided to stay with that job, so was stuck with his real number all year. That guy was lucky to get to walk out, I'd have been tempted to kick him as he went out, so that he 'flew' out and landed on his face!