ATX Community

Copy of tax return

ILLMAS

Today I had one of those TP what wants to know much is his refund, if had not gotten married and included his wife's income. So what I did, I created a copy and removed the wife, her W-2 and changed his return to single etc... saved and explained the differences. Well later on when it was time to efile the original return, not the copy, it gave me an error message and all the wife information was gone, I swear I made the changes to the copy and not original, so now I am wondering if you make a copy of a return, what ever change you make affects the original one? I don't want to believe that happens when you create a copy, but just want to make sure I am not losing it yet.

Today I had one of those TP what wants to know much is his refund, if had not gotten married and included his wife's income. So what I did, I created a copy and removed the wife, her W-2 and changed his return to single etc... saved and explained the differences. Well later on when it was time to efile the original return, not the copy, it gave me an error message and all the wife information was gone, I swear I made the changes to the copy and not original, so now I am wondering if you make a copy of a return, what ever change you make affects the original one? I don't want to believe that happens when you create a copy, but just want to make sure I am not losing it yet.

Okay, I thought it was just me really tired a couple nights back . . . created copies of 2 returns that needed comparing for various reasons, then deleted those copies. Opened original returns the next morning and info was missing on both. So am I "losing it" right along with you or was it some weird program glitch? Hasn't happened again that I can tell.

This happened to me and it is scary. In 2008, client had two dependents. In 2009, I rolled over client and the child on the first line was no longer a dependent. I deleted everything every entry on the first line and then I type the second line on the first line. Then I deleted the second line. When it was time to print, the name of the second child (the only dependent) appeared correctly and everything looked good. After carefully reviewing the information, we realized that the social security number was not changed.

Another problem that I have realized, is that if you don't move the cursor to another field, the information saved is the old one. For example, if you change the account number, and then save and efile, the old account number will be sent because you didn't move the cursor away.

Tomorrow I will confirm if this is indeed the case, two weeks ago I did a "what if" scenario for TP, I created a copy to project 2011 outcome with new salary. I will check the the original return and if I see the W-2 info has changed then it definitely a problem with atx, don't know the reasoning but I hope it's a good one.

Now that you mention that Pacun, in 2008 I amended two returns to include dependents after itins were approved. I rolled over the amended return because they included the dependents, and guess what they were gone, had to re-enter them again, I just thought I didn't same them.