ATX Community

Lost Assets

Bart

Finished preparing an 1120 last week. Open up the return today to process it and print all copies and all assets are gone. Call support and they try an ATX restore feature. Assets still not back. Support says that is all we can do. Sorry. I say that is over five hundred assets am i just suppose to input all of them again (if I can even find all the information) which will take hours. Again they say sorry. That is the first time I agreed with them. They are a sorry bunch.

I had a similiar problem when I was working on a return and had about six other programs open and my computer got angry and stopped working (overload I guess). I was not able to do anything, much less close out of the return or program properly. I ended up just biting the bullet and pushed the "off" button. After I booted back up and opened ATX and the client I was working on I got a message that Asset Entry had been corrupted and, yep, all of the assets were gone. Fortuately there were only 15 assets so I just re-entered and moved on. But 500 assets? Ouch. I sure hope that was a roll-over situation - it will be alot quicker to re-input the 1120 info than the fixed assets.

Hmmm, I think I suggested the same thing above. Great minds, etc. but only if this was a returning client. For Bart's sake, I hope so!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Last night it was late, I was tired and upset so I exaggerated a little. The client actually only had 164 assets with 12 new assets to add this year.

I did not want to roll it over again since it is a complicated return and preparation takes a lot of time. Someone else in my office could have input all the assets, i was the only one who could do the preparation.

I did take Margarets' advice and rolled it over again anyway, input the 12 new assets and prepared it again. Whole thing took me less that 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks Margaret.

That's good news, Bart. An hour and a half is better than half a day. And you likely had great notes about what was entered elsewhere and a good memory of the bottom line to double check. Still very frustrating, I'm sure! None of us like to do double work for single pay and there is no ready excuse for the software to behave that way. Here's hoping Never Again!

And if you have not done it lately, [being busy doing tax work, probably], take some time to run a defrag, since usually when we have any sort of problem of that type it relates to the computer rather than the program. Using it so much, unless you run an automatic defrag regularly, the hard disk can become quite fragmented, and that can lead to problems.