ATX Community

Update Causes Problem

Crank

Did anyone else have any problems after yesterdays 10.5 update. I had some information changes and some data stopped flowing through to my state. TaxWorks said it was fine and it was my machine. TRX Tech re-regestered all files , which didnt correct it. Then repaired the program and had to reinastall all updates. Looked like it didnt fix it but after opening and closing various returns and almost an hour later everything flowed correctly again. Very weird.

Im begining to hate updates because they change returns and then when the client comes in I have to explain why something is different than what we spoke about on the phone.

Also the lack of a way to "undo" something or not have changes you made save to the program bother me. You should be able to close without saving in case you want to not keep changes you just made.

I've had some problems with the program applying upgrades periodically -- including yesterday. It did finally upgrade last night. I haven't noticed any changes to existing returns. I'll have to pay more attention - scary!

I think it is a good idea to re-register. That did help last month. A repair probably wouldn't hurt either. I assume you are referring to the repair in the add / remove program section of the control panels, right? Or, is there another place inside the program?

I agree completely about the lack of undo or exit without saving. I sometimes play "what-if" scenarios to help the client with potential changes for the next year, but can't do it as easily in TRX. (I just created a dummy return & input changes there, but would have been quicker to use existing return without saving.)

I just had a client ask a question about her return and after checking her return, the data had changed. Very scary and frustrating.

This client's return has now disappeared from my database.

Did anyone else have any problems after yesterdays 10.5 update. I had some information changes and some data stopped flowing through to my state. TaxWorks said it was fine and it was my machine. TRX Tech re-regestered all files , which didnt correct it. Then repaired the program and had to reinastall all updates. Looked like it didnt fix it but after opening and closing various returns and almost an hour later everything flowed correctly again. Very weird.

Im begining to hate updates because they change returns and then when the client comes in I have to explain why something is different than what we spoke about on the phone.

Also the lack of a way to "undo" something or not have changes you made save to the program bother me. You should be able to close without saving in case you want to not keep changes you just made.

Thanks Crank. That's the repair I used a few times in January. Things got a LOT better after I turned off the user account. The re-registering was also helpful.

Since I'm starting to get some funky errors again, it's time to do more maintenance. Just making sure I'm doing all the right things.

I just had a client ask a question about her return and after checking her return, the data had changed. Very scary and frustrating.

This client's return has now disappeared from my database.

I had this problem a while back and according to Ryan, the programers had an idea what caused it and it shold have been fixed in a future update. Again this has been a while ago.

I had this problem a while back and according to Ryan, the programers had an idea what caused it and it shold have been fixed in a future update. Again this has been a while ago.

I've found that the updates can fail to install properly, with no notice to you, unless you install them from an account that has administrative privileges.

Since I normally run in a user account, to install updates I have to log out of the user account (shut it down completely so that both TRX Pro and the Update Manager are stopped), log into my Administrator account, run the update manager to download and install all new updates, log out of Administrator, log back into User, and I'm good to go.

[This is the XP version - Windows 7 might be different.]

Since the latest update, my program does not open correctly. I can't change anything at all in existing returns.

Oops....easy fix. Just had to complain out loud for the solution to become obvious, I guess.

Edited by Julie

The main problem I've had (off & on) lately is with closing the program. I click the Red X in the top right corner and it doesn't do anything. Go to File --> Exit and it "thinks about it." Then I get the Program not Responding message & I choose close program. With that kind of exit, the program doesn't do its backup. I'm not sure if its related to an update. And it doesn't do it every time.

Also, there are times I get errors when updating. I try again later & it updates.

The problem I reported after the 10.5 upgrade (Fed Sch C depreciation not carrying to the appropriate PA - Sch C line item) has refurfaced with the latest 10.11 upgrade. The strange black Pa audit issue - no description has also returned. This return was headed out the door so I did the easy fix and just entered the correct amount on the PA Sch C. I dont currently have any other returns with a Sch C in prorocess so I can't say if it is just a problem with this return or if it affects all Sch C returns. I guess I could create a sample return to test it.

I do however have a return with a Sch E & depreciation which flowws correctly to the PA form. This return was not affected by the earlier 10.5 update problem either.

What appeared to fix the earlie problem was to repair the program and reinstall all updates. The strange part of this is that it did not immediately correct the problem but after opening and closing the return several times over the course of about an hour the proble corrected.