ATX Community

1041-FINAL YEAR/EXCESS DEDUCTIONS

michaelmars

Help! i am filing 2009 and 2010 for a decedents estate. 2009 had excess deductions and this seems to carry over to 2010 as an NOL. in 2010 the estate is closed and final and i can't figure out if this amount should flow to the K-1 as excess deductions or as NOL. If excess ded, where do i imput this, i can not figure it out.

Help! i am filing 2009 and 2010 for a decedents estate. 2009 had excess deductions and this seems to carry over to 2010 as an NOL. in 2010 the estate is closed and final and i can't figure out if this amount should flow to the K-1 as excess deductions or as NOL. If excess ded, where do i imput this, i can not figure it out.

Go to K-1 input and check Final K-1 on question A.

the question is should this flow to the k-1 as "nol" or "excess deductions"? when i was playing around, in the 2009 return if i assumed that was the final year then it flowed as "excess deductions" but when i left 2009 and marked the 2010 as final the same amount flowed as NOL. so it seems by leaving the estate open one more year, the bene's get a line 21 deduction rather than a sch A deduction. this just seems wrong to me.