ATX Community

SSN used, wasn't his parents

taxtoddnyc

Client's e-file came back saying he was claimed as dependent. He's young, just out of school, earned too much and too old, so not eligible as dependent anymore, but I figured his folks claimed him out of habit. Turns out not... he spoke to them, and they say no. So now what... how do I find out whose return he's on? And what to do about it? Thanks for any advice...

If parents have other dependents, check the social security number on their 2010 return. ATX keeps the old social security number on many instances.

Ask him to call 1-800-tax1040 and report identity theft. Call first thing Monday (maybe IRS has not sent the refund to the other filer).

Paper file his return or follow the advice from the IRS about filing.

I had an elderly person this year for whom we file a return only to get a credit back on NYS. Turns out her SS# had already been used this year. We paper filed the return with explanation, and the lady's daughter contacted social security admin. Nothing resolved at this point, but NYS accepted the efile, so she got her credit!