ATX Community

Electronic Extensions

samingeorgia

In the past, I printed extensions and sent them in. In 99% of cases, I had been told that the client wanted an extension; then again there are those people who just always get an extension and never call until after the 15th. With e-filed extensions, am I supposed to get a form (8878?) signed and in my hands before submitting the extension?

In other words, am I supposed to round these people up and get them to sign an authorization form by Monday? I suspect that most of these will be paper filed if that is the case. The extension form doesn't have to be signed.

I *think* the only ones that need to be signed are the ones with a balance due. But even at that point I'm not sure if it can be e-filed if the client isn't paying anything?

I've e-filed a few that should get refunds. No 8879 needed for those.

So far, my balance due ones have been mailed by clients.

I think you need the 8879 for those with direct debit of their balance due with the extension ONLY.

Most of mine insist they do not owe, so I e-file extensions. Or, do owe but want to mail in a check, so I give them the extension forms to mail in with checks.