ATX Community

cathyan

OK, I'm brain-dead. I have a garden maintenence business in the off-season, so my brain is in with the flowers and bees right now.

Question - 2008 is still a good year for filing for a refund, right?

Old family friend just came in with 4 (4!!!) Notices of Deficiency for 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. He has a lawn and landscaping business, and has a lot of receipts for all years. Just hasn't bothered to file, has ignored all my warnings to get them done, has ignored all IRS letters until now. It's a good thing I have a LOT of trees that need serious trimming, or he couldn't afford me on this one!

OK, I'm brain-dead. I have a garden maintenence business in the off-season, so my brain is in with the flowers and bees right now.

Question - 2008 is still a good year for filing for a refund, right?

Old family friend just came in with 4 (4!!!) Notices of Deficiency for 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. He has a lawn and landscaping business, and has a lot of receipts for all years. Just hasn't bothered to file, has ignored all my warnings to get them done, has ignored all IRS letters until now. It's a good thing I have a LOT of trees that need serious trimming, or he couldn't afford me on this one!

Due date for 2008 return was 4/15/2009 -- so three years is 4/15/2012. IF he also filed an extension for 2007 you would have until October for any refund for that year. Sounds like that's not the case, however.

I spent about an hour today trying to weed my vegetable garden, but it was still too wet from the rain we've had. I got good and soaked, the weeds I did pull have tons of soil stuck to the roots like glue, and I barely made a dent!

Catherine

Catherine, I had thouht about the 2007 extension, and I did file one for him that year! That was the year we were supposed to start getting him caught up.

Where are you, Catherine? I think I'll need a vacation after finishing this one. I'll come help you. I started the garden maintenence because I enjoy gardening and thought "Why not get paid to pull weeds?" This is the 1st year, and I keep pretty busy at it.

>>2008 is still a good year for filing for a refund, right?<<

Yes, and he can also still file for the other years too. No refunds of course, but maybe no balance due either. Just be sure he understands that a 90-day letter means 90 days, period.

Catherine, I had thouht about the 2007 extension, and I did file one for him that year! That was the year we were supposed to start getting him caught up.

Where are you, Catherine? I think I'll need a vacation after finishing this one. I'll come help you. I started the garden maintenance because I enjoy gardening and thought "Why not get paid to pull weeds?" This is the 1st year, and I keep pretty busy at it.

I'm a bit of a hike from you - in Lexington, Massachusetts. Your profile says you are in Missouri. We finally (just today, in fact) got some sunshine, and the temperature is in the low 70's after being in the 50's during the day for the week or ten days. The weeds are still waiting for me. I'll think about you when I get out there to pull them!

Catherine