ATX Community

W-2c

SunTaxMan

Taxpayer prepared their own W-2s for employees.

We found a mistake and I am asked to prepare W-2c.

One of mistakes was employee name spelling.

Questions?

SHOULD I correct the name on the W-2c or allow it to remain as taxpayer submitted on original?

Am I liable for accuracy-related penalty for NOT correcting the name?

Thanks,

Where is the missspelling? If it is after the 4th caracter on the last name or first name, it doesn't matter whether you corrected it or not. If the name missspelled is the only issue, you should leave it alone and the IRS will match it witht he social security number.

Where is the missspelling? If it is after the 4th caracter on the last name or first name, it doesn't matter whether you corrected it or not. If the name missspelled is the only issue, you should leave it alone and the IRS will match it witht he social security number.

The mistake is that the taxpayer used middle initial and the SS card shows full middle name - I have been inserting full middle name as part of first name in all of my payroll and tax work, so I have an exact match for SS card.

The mistake is that the taxpayer used middle initial and the SS card shows full middle name - I have been inserting full middle name as part of first name in all of my payroll and tax work, so I have an exact match for SS card.

Don't worry. Everything is and will be OK.