ATX Community

Acks-none this weekend

joanmcq

IRS computers are down for scheduled maintenance each Columbus Day Weekend. Lousy time, I know. This explanation from CCH:

The IRS will be down from 9:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, October 8, 2011, until 5:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, October 11, 2011, (Columbus Day weekend). A routine system maintenance build and the annual power outage used by the IRS to perform critical operation and maintenance programs, to enhance building infrastructure, and to upgrade various computer systems is scheduled to occur during this time.

Returns received by ProSystem after 9:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, October 8, 2011, will be sent to the IRS after the outage on Tuesday, October 11, 2011.

Crap, I forgot about that. I'm trying to get everything done and out so that I can go see a friend's performance in Carmel on Saturday. It's about a 5 hour drive, but he is in from Japan. Bad, bad timing! I mean I have been invited to a cousin's party, the performance, my women's group is having a 'thank you for your support' dinner......all this upcoming weekend. I could be a total social butterfly, but.....

I was NOT involved in the planning of ANY of these events.

I know how you feel. I had two long weeks back to back in August for a memorial service and my husband's family reunion, both out of state, one with no cell service/no wifi/no communication, and with only two days in between -- long enough to do laundry and repack and return the most urgent phone calls, but not a block of time to bang out a complex return -- so I was effectively not working for over two weeks in August. I had no say in the timing of either event. And then there was my husband's shoulder replacement in June, my back spasm that kept me flat on my back on muscle relaxants for a whole week in July, and of course Hurricane Irene for seven days of no power, no water, etc. Throw in my brand new Dell crashing for the entire month of March, and I have lots of clients on extension and am WAY behind working my way through them.

WIth my software, I still transmit the returns, I just won't hear back until Tuesday. So, at least they're off my desk except for the 8879s I stack up until I receive the Accept. Go have a fabulous weekend. It's not your fault clients wait until the last minute!

I got some acks! The ones from Friday at least. That means my own return went through. lol. I was out of touch for about the same length of time late august/early september. literally two nights and one day between Burning Man (very limited wi-fi and no cell) and a trip to NYC. Both were planned well in advance, and I warned everyone that I would not be doing work during that time, altough at least in NYC I could get calls & email! Then last Monday my boyfriend very unexpectedly lost his job after already knowing his house would go into foreclosure and I've been dealing with his severe depression all last week. At least he is perking up to the point of 'I didn't hate the fact I woke up this morning; indifference is better I guess'. Its an improvement.

Well, just picked up a new client. Gotta churn out returns.