ATX Community

E-file Error for deceased client

Janitor Bob

This past April 2011, I e-filed an extension for a deceased client. Now I have transmitted his 1040 return electronically and I received a reject stating that his SSN has been used on another return. I verified the SSN is correct and spoke with surviving daughter (executor)....she states that to her knowledge, nobody has filed a return for him....that is why she came to me.

Client passed away in December 2010, so he would not have filed before death.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just have the daughter paper-file?

I also had one with that exact error message. Client died March of 2010. MFJ return for 2009 cleared without a hitch a few weeks after death. But 2010 return hit a wall in March of this year with the error report stating his SSN was used on another return. Called IRS and was told to paper file. Spouse is still waiting for refund. Told over and over that it is in review.

Way back when I was at HRB, they told us we could efile if deceased the year prior to filing/same year as tax return but not if deceased in the year filing/after the tax return year. Don't know why. Seems like the SSA computers would have the DOD immediately, especially if receiving SS benefits.