ATX Community

address labels in 2010 TRX

Kea

I used TRX's TaxWorks last year and I'm now trying to print address labels from it. I found the feature in reports under the Manage button. However it only lists a few of the clients and includes some of the sample clients as well as real ones. I can go through and check which ones of this list to include so that I don't include the samples or test returns. But how do I get it to include all my clients? Specifically, I want to include everyone in the "default" folder and not the "samples" or "what-if."

Have you used this feature? If so, what am I missing? I've tried making sure that the default was the last folder I had open before going to manage - reports - labels, but it still won't include all clients.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

The RedGear knowledgebase talks about this problem - where the client dabase which is used to produce labels has duplicates or missing entries. Their solution is to rebuild the database. When you do that you can select the folders (default, etc.) that you want included. It's a batch process and they say it will fix the problem.

Unfortunately when I tried it (I had NO names in the label list) the batch process ignored any return that was locked (which all of my completed returns were.) I found no batch "unlock" command, and would have had to unlock the returns one-by-one. No thanks.

This is not really a problem for me, since I have been using an external database for my client managemt purposes since the early 1990s. I print labels, schedule appointments, track e-files, and do my accounting from that.

http://support.taxprepsoft.com/?p=2668

I tried printing labels from my 2010 program and it printed most but not all the clients. I then went to the 2011 program (I had rolled all clients over to the 2011 program) and tried printing from it, and they all printed. On the 2010 program I had previously changed it to print 20 labels to the page and on the 2011 program I accepted the default 30 labels to the page. I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Don, Even though I haven't tried rebuilding the database, I think you answered part of my question. I was trying to figure out what the ones showing had in common. They are probably the ones that were not locked.

I guess I'll try unlocking them. It'll be a pain, but there's "only" 95 or so. It's better than transferring all the addresses to some other program at this point. Besides I'd have to open the tax file or .pdf to get the address anyway.

Gene - do you have your completed returns "locked"? When you roll over to 2011, I'm guessing they started out unlocked. That might be a better method - just roll everything over to 2011 and do the labels from there.

FWIW, I am using 30 labels per page but I did switch the Avery Label # to they one I have. Not sure if the default # would have worked. I figured there could be different sizes even if still 30 per page.

Thanks!

Kea, I had all completed returns locked at the time I rolled them over. I just now went back and tried printing using the 20 labels to a sheet and changed the font to 12 point and it still printed all files. I sure am glad you brought this to our attention because I probably would not have noticed that all the file didn't print and some of my clients would not have received letters. I hope this works for you.

More observations -

I went back to the 2010 program to try again with the default label size. Realized this wouldn't help since you get the list before you pick which label size you want. Also tried unlocking one return to see if that would add it to the list. But while I was in the folder changing the lock setting, I saw a check box next to the folder name that said "Log to Mgmt." Ah Ha! That's why some showed up and some didn't. So I put the check mark in the folder I wanted to use and unchecked it in the others. Went back to the label report and .... No Difference! (OK, I was too lazy to try the rebuild database option. Just went to Plan B.)

Fine. I liked the idea of doing it from 2011 better anyway. I had 2 clients move after their returns were finalized (that I know of). So I proformaed everytbody over to 2011 (89 returns took 22 minutes) & changed the address on those two. And when I printed (to .pdf) those two labels showed the original address.

Also, I did 3 print-outs for the labels. One for the single folks (including a MFS), one for married folks with the same last name & one for married folks with different last names. Separating these was a bit of a pain because the column with the SP last name was several columns to the right of the TP Last name, TP FIrst name and SP first name. And you can't change the size of that window (where you select the names you want for your labels). I just opened the client manager from 2010 next to it so I could see SP at the same time.

I also noticed that for 2 clients that passed away last year before completing their 2010 returns - those did not show up in the label report screen. I'll just do those manually to send to the executors. That's probably too specialized to try to set up an exception report when there is a DOD present (with c/o name / address).

Good Luck and thanks for your observations and suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for jumping in late, but is everyone good to go on this? I have read through the thread but admit to not having much expertise with this feature. However, if you are having issues or still needing to use this functionality for some reason, let me know so I can get the right people to help here.

Thanks,

Ryan

I only print labels to send out New Year's cards (subtle reminder that tax season is approaching). So I haven't done anything since then. I printed the labels from 2012 (after rolling over everyone from 2011). The only issue I had at that point was for the 2 clients that moved. I entered their new addresses, but the labels still printed with the old address. Since it was just 2, I handwrote them.

I'll guess I'll find out in another 11 months how it goes for next year.