ATX Community

Michigan error....

taxtrio

Getting error on Michigan.

Reads: Error: Valid characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphen, slash and space. (Limited to 35 characters)

I am getting it twice... one takes me to the Data Sheet for the MI 1040, and one that takes me to the Data Sheet fot the Mi 1040 CR. (Not the actual Mi 1040, or Mi 1040 CR).

At first I couldn't see any disallowed characters... Until I noticed that on the Data Sheet the Software has added some commas, and periods to the address. These are not on the actual MI 1040.

This is all carried from the federal 1040.

example: 123 Main Street, Apt. No. 357 (this is not the actual address)

Then stopped and counted the # of characters.... AH! With the extra punctuation added to clients address came to more than 35 characters..... I removed extra punctuation from the Data Sheet on both forms..... Eureka! No more error.

Isn't January wonderful!!

Taxtrio

I used to enter the control number from the W-2s. Most of the time that number includes - and spaces, ATX now doesn't allow you to enter spaces or -. That field should NOT be a number and we should be allow to enter any character since it is not used in any calculation. I have noticed the same issue on company names and addresses when an ampersand (&) is involved. Again these fields are not involved on any calculations. Maybe you are having the same issue on your MI form.

Punctuation is not needed for an address, and the latest from the USPS says they do NOT want punctuation in addresses for mailing. The control number on the W-2 is for the use of the preparers of the W-2. The IRS does not care about it, so why even enter it? Ampersand & is a control character in progrmming language, therefore the reason it is not allowed in so many places.